Wednesday, March 31, 2010


Todd played the game of hockey with tremendous speed and a big

heart, never letting size limit his ability to compete. A feisty forward in the Western Hockey League, he played with the Regina Pats Hockey Team during the 2002-2003 season. Todd, with his family by his side, peacefully passed away on Sunday, December 2, 2006.

Photo: (Regina Pats - 2002-2003) - Kevin Shaw Collection

He was born in Winnipeg on September 30, 1986, and attended St. Alphonsus for his early education and graduated from St. Paul's High School in 2004. He had been enrolled at the University of Manitoba.

At the age of 12, Todd went to Denmark with the North American Selects All Star Team. He played AAA hockey as an age-advanced player and had some wonderful coaches who helped him develop his skills. By 13 he was named the Most Valuable Player in the league.

By age 14 Todd was drafted by the Regina Pats organization of the WHL. At 15 he played for the AAA Sharks of the Manitoba Provincial Midget Hockey League and was named to the First Team All Stars at the Western Canada Regional Championship. At 16 he didn't expect to make the Regina Pats but his skill, focus, and hard work earned him a spot on the team, playing Centre alongside his brother Wade, a Right Winger. Todd Davison always had a way of defying the odds. Known to his teammates as Itty Bitty — a nickname befitting his underdog stature — the scrappy 5-foot-6 forward earned a permanent place in the hearts of the Regina Pats during the 2002-03 season. That same year he played on Team Manitoba at the Canada Winter Games and was named Assistant Captain. (Photo: Brother Wade Davison) In the fall of 2003, his path led him to play with the Lloydminster Blazers of the Alberta Junior Hockey League.

Todd wasn't the biggest guy out there on the ice but his passion for the game, his hockey smarts, skill, and feistiness had everyone cheering him on. After his second season of junior hockey, in June 2004, two days after graduation from high school, his career had to be put aside to battle his biggest opponent yet, Synovial Sarcoma, a rare form of Cancer. He spent the next several months having surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation treatments so that he could fight the Cancer and return to hockey. In February of 2005, Todd finished his last treatments in Toronto, flew home to Winnipeg, and was immediately off to Alberta to play his first game back with ....... Photo: - - ...............................

the Blazers. He scored two goals in that game. His season did not last long as Todd needed major surgery on his shoulder. He played his last game for the Blazers in Fort McMurray, Alberta, on February 23, 2005. Todd spent the next winter having more treatments that were scheduled around the two hockey teams he helped coach.

(Taken from - - Todd had health-coverage personally, but it did not cover travel expenses for his family to be at his side. We decided to make a chair out of his game worn jersey as a prize for this special fund raiser. The chair was a great hit and raised $2900 for the cause, but the best part was seeing the gentleman who won the chair present it back to Todd).

Todd continued to battle his Cancer with chemotherapy and another major surgery, this time to his lungs, in May 2006. Todd was deeply inspired by Lance Armstrong, believing that everyone was capable of making a difference in the world and able to make the world a better place for someone else. Todd had a vision. The 'Believe in the Goal' organization was formed and the Sizzlin' Summer Showdown was held in August 2006. Todd's hockey friends came together to play hockey in support of the NeverAlone Foundation and CancerCare Manitoba. Players from the NHL, AHL and the Canadian National Junior Hockey Team wowed the sold out crowd at the Selkirk Arena. It was an incredible evening that raised $50,000.00 thanks to the support of generous sponsors and fans.