Friday, February 3, 2012

1933-34 - 1934-35 - REGINA PATS FOLD

Jimmy Franks was over age that season and the Regina Pats needed a new goalie. John Inglis, who had played with Lumsden Monarchs, was a good goalie. "Moose" Stinson, who was playing for the Pats, had a brother who taught at Lumsden and he suggested "Moose" tell Al Ritchie he should come and have a look at Inglis. So arrangements were made to have Inglis come into Regina for a tryout. (Photo: John Inglis - New York Rovers - Eastern Amateur Hockey League - Inglis Collection)

The Inter-City League between Moose Jaw and Regina started with two teams from each city. Before the League even got started, one team from each city had dropped out of the League: Moose Jaw Cubs on December 11, and the Regina Maple Leafs on January 31. Regina Pats had a five game schedule against Moose Jaw Canucks. Pats had little trouble winning the first three games, all shut-outs. The last two were not played since the Regina Pats had already clinched the League title.

Southern Final - On Wednesday, January 31, Regina Pats downed Father Athol Murray's Notre Dame College Hounds 6-2 at the Weyburn Arena. Dillon Brady scored two goals and an assist for the Pats. Art Kirkpatrick and Murray Armstrong shared the honours as the Pats most outstanding players.

Friday, Pats thumped Notre Dame 10-2 at the Regina Stadium. Once again it was right winger Dillion Brady scored four goals for the Regina Pats. Regina won the round series 16 to 4.

Provincial Final - Friday, March 9, with the Regina Pats having over a month between play-off games, two soft goals by Saskatoon Wesleys ended in a 4-4 tie with the Pats at the Regina Stadium. Leading 4-2 with more than half the final period gone, Pats were still turning on the heat when Farmer and Hulme broke away to score unassisted goals within 30 seconds of each other to tie the game.

Monday, a 90 minute struggle, with 3 periods of overtime on water-logged ice, failed to produce any goals. Coupled with the draw at Regina, the final overtime bell marked 150 minutes that the two teams had fought to decide the Saskatchewan title.

On Wednesday, Saskatoon's Mel Hill scored twice as the Pats were downed 3-1 at Saskatoon. Johnny Ursaki, second string winger, had brought the Pats back onto even terms with a well-timed goal in the second period. Hill had tallied his first in the opening period. Hill scored the winner three minutes into the third period.

Friday, with a two goal lead in the round, Saskatoon Wesleys won 3-1. They finally put the lid on a four-game series that had been the longest ever required to crown a champion in the province. Saskatoon capitalized on two break-a-way goals in the third period when they caught the Pat players at the opposite end of the rink.

Saskatoon Wesley went on to lose to Edmonton Athletic Club Roamers. Edmonton then lost in the Memorial Cup to St. Michael's College of Toronto. Toronto was the only team to date who went undefeated through both the regular league and playoffs.

1934-1935 - Season - Regina Leader Post, Thursday, November 8, 1934 issue mentioned: "The Regina Pats were in much demand on the U.S.A. coming tour. Pats were scheduled to play 20 games in the span of six weeks, taking the train to Winnipeg and playing twice before entering the States. They were to start at Chicago on the 29th, then Detroit, Philadelphia, Hershey, Baltimore, Lake Placid, New York, and Atlantic City. In the last two places they would play twice and many more wanted them to play an exhibition game."

1934-1935 Regina Pats Roster - Goalie: Clark Burlington Defense: "Babe" Pratt, Sid Craddock, Tommy Reid, George Coops Centre: Murray Armstrong, Bob Kirkpatrick, Richard "Toad" Klein Right Wing: Mel Hill, Lude Wareing Left Wing: Doug Bentley, Don Metz, Dunc Farmer, Tony Desmarais Coach-Manager: Al Ritchie Trainer: Jack Ansell President: Cyril Malone Vice-President: Dan Gardner Secretary-Treasurer: Jack Currie Executive Members: Dr. Emmett McCusker, Beattie Martin, Gratton McCarthy, Nick Pappas, Mick Busch, Fred McTavish

On Wednesday, November 21, the Regina Pats played an exhibition game against the Star City Intermediate Buffalo's before 900 Star City fans. Pats went on to win 6-2 on a three goal performance by Murray Armstrong and Don Metz scored two goals, while defenseman George Coops scored the other goal in the first period. They were tied 1-1 after the first period and Pats led 5-1 after the second period.

Tuesday, November 27, Regina Leader Post reported that the Tournament was called off by the club officials because financial arrangements had fallen through.

REGINA PATS FOLD - the Leader Post December 6, read: "Remnants of the once proud Regina Pats Hockey Club for 17 years, and a power in the Canadian Play-off, will be taken over by Regina Sportsmen to be named the Ex-Pats and entered in the Junior League in 1934. It will not be a high powered club but will be composed of local talent only." The following day, Pat officials announced they were prepared to release all their players. The Leader Post, Saturday, December 8, read: "Regina Sportsmen announced they changed the name from Ex-Pats to the Monograms".

With the 1934-35 Roster the Regina Pats had, they could have been going to the Canadian Final. Five of the players went on to play for Saskatoon Wesleys; Clark Burlington, Goalie, Tommy Reid, Defenseman, Mel Hill, Right Winger, and Left Winger, Doug Bentley.


Saskatoon Wesleys went all the way to the Western Final (Abbott Cup) against the Winnipeg Monarchs who won the best of three series, two games to one. Monarchs went on to win the Memorial Cup that year.

Tony Desmarais, Left Winger, played for Saskatoon Nutana; Lude Wareing, Right Winger, played with Regina Monograms, as well as the Regina Caps in the Saskatchewan Senior League, he also played 2 games with Saskatoon Wesleys in the Memorial Cup Trail. George Coops, Defenseman, played with Regina Monograms, plus 2 games with Saskatoon Wesleys. Sid Craddock, Defenseman, played with Moose Jaw Crescents of the Saskatchewan Senior Hockey League, (SSHL). Murray Armstrong, Centre, played with the Regina Vics of the (SSHL). Bob Kirkpatrick, Centre, played with Regina Aces of the (SSHL). Richard "Toad" Klein, Centre, played with the Prince Albert Minto of the (SSHL). Don Metz, Left Winger, was not shown as playing in the 1934-35 season but played with Toronto St. Michaels Majors (OHJA) the next season. "Babe" Pratt, Defenseman, could be the same Walter who played for Kenora Thistles, of the Manitoba Junior Hockey League that season.