Friday, February 3, 2012

1946-47 to 1949-50 - THE NEW REGINA PATS - PLUS THE OLD WHL

Losing to the Moose Jaw Canucks was always a bitter pill to swallow in the City of Regina so when the Canucks established a winning formula in 1944-1945 and kept the momentum going, Regina's junior hockey operators learned from the experience.

In the fall of 1946, the Regina Leader Post sports editor, Tom Melville, stated he personally was "sick and tired of watching Moose Jaw clobber Regina at every turn". He suggested the Abbotts and Commandos make a team. After great discussion and planning, by Clarence Mahon, Beattie
Ramsay, Ken More, Al Ritchie, Don McDonald, Bill Owen, Dan Diamond, Charlie Meadows, Mickey Boyle, Archie Biggart and Charlie Hay the two teams were amalgamated and we had the new Regina Pats Hockey club.

Frank Selke Senior moved from the Toronto Maple Leafs to the Montreal Canadiens in the late 40's and began a major re-shaping of the organization. His most decisive and far-reaching move was to construct a farm system (1946) that extended across Canada to the prairie province of Saskatchewan, the City of Regina and the Junior Pats. Selke's farm system was bigger than the farm systems of all the other NHL clubs combined.

For the first time, the southern and northern Saskatchewan Junior teams joined as one and the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League (SJHL) was formed. The new League included the Regina Pats, Moose Jaw Canucks, Notre Dame Hounds , Saskatoon Legionnaires, Prince Albert Black Hawks and Humboldt Indians.

Ex-Regina Pats Johnny Gottselig, coach of the Chicago Black Hawks, brought his players to Regina and started training camp, Wednesday, September 25, 1946, at the Regina Queen City Gardens (Regina Exhibition Stadium).

1946-47 Regina Pats Roster: Goalies: Del Wilson, Neil McCutcheon, Ivan Zummack Defense: Bill Giokas, Red McCandless, Jack Wilkie, Dalt Wilson, Billy Folk Centre: Gordon Knutson, Maurice Young, Red Staley, Jim Owen Right Wing: Jim Fairburn, Duncan Fisher, Steve Gaber Left Wing: Harry Barrett, Joe Most, Hugh Phillips, Fred Evans, Julian Smith Coach: Hartzel "Moose" Stinson Manager: Clarence Mahon President: Beattie Ramsay Trainer: Lloyd Brown

All Regina Pats loses that season came against the second place Moose Jaw Canucks. The largest Regina crowd at home was 4,926 against Moose Jaw, on January 17th.

All the Notre Dame Hounds home games were played at the Weyburn rink.

Friday, February 7, Humbolt was scheduled to play the Pats but the game had to be cancelled due to the worst snow storm in the province's history. There were snow drifts as high as 15 to 20 feet high. The game was re-scheduled for Tuesday, February 11.

Semi League Final - Monday, March 1, only 1,495 fans showed up when Pats downed the Prince Albert Black Hawks 9-2 at Regina Queen City Gardens. Prince Albert elected to play a close-checking game and caught the Pats completely off stride for the better part of two periods. Hawks lead 1-0 after the first period. They added another goal early in the second period before Regina finally scored three consecutive goals in five minutes to take the lead 3-2 after two periods. Pats completely controlled the last period, scoring six consecutive goals.

Wednesday, March 5, Pats gave the home club Black Hawks a thumping 10-2 in the best of three series, taking it in two straight games. The Hawks held Pats to a 1-1 tie after the opening period. Regina then went on to score three goals in the second period and six more in the third period before Prince Albert scored their second goal near the end of the game. For the second game in a row, Regina Pats "Red" Staley led the club scoring with three goals, Bill Folk and Gordon Knutson had two goals each while Dunc Fisher had one goal and four assists.

League Final - Friday, March 7, the great Metro Prystai was back to his old self at centre for the Moose Jaw Canucks. He showed his old drive and class in pacing the newly energized Canucks in a 7-6 triumph at Regina City Gardens.

Prystai missed the last three months of league play due to a fractured leg injury. he proved once and for all that, without him, Canucks were just an old mill junior hockey team. (Prystai won the scoring race with 71 points, 2 ahead of Pats Gordie Knutson). Metro Prystai figured in six of the seven goals; scoring two and assisting on four others. Vic Kreklewitz also sparked the Canucks with three goals and had one assist.

Moose Jaw led 2-1 after the first period only to trail 4-3 after the second period. With Pats trailing 7-4 near the end of the game, they scored two quick goals. Regina swarmed around the Moose Jaw net like bees. Moose Jaw iced the puck frequently to relieve the pressure in the final

Monday, March 10, Moose Jaw slapped down the bewildered Pats 5-3. Metro Prystai figured in on 10 of the Canucks 12 goals in the series. It took only 25 seconds of the game for Moose Jaw's Lovett to score, assist by Prystai. The prettiest goal came in the second period by Kreklewitz as he picked up a pass from Prystai, worked his way into the clear, faked Regina Pats goalie Del Wilson, and slipped the puck into the net.

On Tuesday, Regina Pats held a special meeting with the players, coach, manager and executives behind doors. It paid off.

Wednesday, March 12, Regina Pats played a much better game and skated to a 4-2 triumph over Moose Jaw. In their pre-game announcement, Pats promised they wouldn't let the fans down and went onto the ice to back their statement. It was the largest Queen City Garden crowd 6,588 fans to watch a game since the Allen Cup final of 1941.

They came out flying, scoring two goals in the first period. Dunc Fisher scored two goals, single handily - the first, the opening goal when he scored after a scramble in front of the net and the other - the clincher, in the final period on a fluke goal as he scored on his own rebound off the radio broadcasting booth above the Moose Jaw net! Play was stopped for ten minutes in the third period when Pats goalie Del Wilson was cut on the lip by Canucks her Lovett's goal.

Friday, March 14, Moose Jaw Time-Herald quoted, "A lineup of 500 fans for standing room tickets started during the supper hour. By eight o'clock, hopeful purchasers were standing four and five deep as far back as Main Street." A rafter-jammed rink of 3,600 hysterical fans cheered on the Canucks as they handed out a death blow, a 3-1 decision to the visiting Regina Pats.

Canucks goalie Bev Bentley was the hero as he stopped Pat-after-Pat, many a point-blank range. The opening period was scoreless. Six minutes into the second period, Kreklewitz was standing beside the Pats net and knocked down Ivan Wilson's long flip shot from the blue line with his hand and he scored. Canucks took a 2-1 lead into the third period. With only five seconds remaining in the game, Prystai broke clear and scored the clincher. It gave Moose Jaw the series and they retained the League title they had held for the past two years.

Moose Jaw went onto down the Brandon Elks in a tough Abbott Cup series that went eight games. They then played Toronto St. Michael's Majors in the Memorial Cup. The Toronto team downed Montreal Junior Canadiens three straight in the most lopsided win in the history of the Richardson Trophy. They outscored Montreal 37-4, including a 21-0 thumping in the third game. Toronto took the Memorial Cup in four games. First game was played in Winnipeg 12-3, second in Moose Jaw 6-1, the third and fourth at the Regina's Queen City Gardens 8-1 and 3-2.

Front Row: Bill Folk, Jim Own, Jack Wilkie, Jim Fairburn, Dunc Fisher, Steve Gaber, Harry Barret, Bill Giokas, Keith McCutcheon Back Row: Del Wilson, Fred Evans, Red McCandless, Gord Knutson, (Executives): Al Ritchie, and Archie Biggart, Red Staley, Dr. W.C. Rennick, Julian Smith, Moe Young, Coach: Moose Stinson, Missing: Manager: Clarence Mahon, Secretary: Charlie Meadows, President: Beattie Ramsay Photo: Gordon Staeson

1947-1948 - Season - That year Murray Armstrong replaced "Moose" Stinson as Regina Pats coach, coaching 9 successful years, before leaving for the University of Denver. The only change that season was the Saskatoon Legionnaires taking the place of the Saskatoon Quakers.

1947-1948 - Regina Pats Roster - Goalies: John Craig, Don McNiven Defense: Ron Robertson, Bill Turner, Ken Barlow, Carroll Bloom, Joe Palyga, Don McNiven, Jack McFarland Centre: Gordie Knutson, Allan "Red" Staley, Wilbur Printz, Clare Drake Right Wing: Lorne Davis, Sam Haymore, Fred Evans Left Wing: Hugh Phillips, Maurice Young, Harry Barrett Coach-Manager: Murray Armstrong Trainers: Bob Bentley, Jack Ansell

League Semi-Final - Monday, March 1, Regina Pats trimmed the Prince Albert Black Hawks 6-2 at the Queen City Gardens, witnessed by a small crowd of only 780. Regina hemmed Prince Albert in their own end zone most of the first period only to find goalie Eddie Matwick a big stumbling block. Regina Pats Gord Knutson scored the only goal in the first period as he took Maurice Young's pass at centre ice and went through the defenseman, scoring on a rising shot.

Regina led 3-0 after the second period. it was a rough game, 19 penalties were handed out, 11 to Regina. Pats were paced by their two top performers, Moe Young and Gord Knutson, scoring two goals each.

Wednesday, March 3, the Regina Pats defeated Prince Albert 8-3 at the Minto Arena. Prince Albert took a 2-0 lead in the first period at the 12 minute mark. Three minutes later, Allan "Red" Staley scored Pats lone goal in the first period. Both teams were tied 2-2 after the second period. In the third period, the Black Hawks collapsed as Pats erupted for six goals.

Gord Knutson was once again the top player. The blonde centre chalked up four goals and had one assist. Pats won the best of three series two games straight. The victory was costly for the Pats as young Fred Evans suffered a fractured collar bone late in the third period.

League Final - Monday, March 8, Moose Jaw's right winger Jackie McLeod scored 2 goals in Canucks 5-2 win over Regina Pats at the Moose Jaw Arena. McLeod scored the winning goal at 12:19 in the second period. he also raised the Moose Jaw roof, during the final period, when he broke away and out guessed Pats netminder Johnny Craig for the final goal of the game. Regina held the edge in the first period taking a 2-1 lead going into the second period only to see Moose
Jaw score two unanswered goals.

Wednesday, March 10, it was Moose Jaw 5-3 over the Pats at Queen City Gardens in a Regina do-or-die game. Canucks obviously had the powerhouse, yet the Pats came up with the better scoring chances by far. With eight seconds remaining in regulation, and down 4-3, Regina's coach Murray Armstrong pulled his goalie for an extra attacker. It back-fired. McLeod picked up a loose puck with two Pats on his heels. He carried the puck almost to the goal crease before slipping it into the open net with but one second remaining. Moose Jaw's Harvey Stein, Vic Kreklewitz and rookie Jackie McLeod line scored four of the Canucks five goals.

Saturday, March 13, a sell out of rabid fans packed Moose Jaw Arena to see Moose Jaw walk all over the Pats 10-4 and take the League title in 3 straight games. Once again it was the Stein-Kirlewitz-McLeod line, picking up 11 points as the local club scored five straight goals in the third period to break the game wide open. Stein was the top scorer as he struck for 3 goals and had 2 assists for 5 points. Doug McDonald, Lorne Davis, Hugh Phillips and Sam Haymore scored for the Regina Pats.

1948-1949 Season - Western Junior Hockey League - Regina Pats and Moose Jaw Canucks pulled away from the SJHL and joined with four Alberta team; Calgary Buffaloes, Lethbridge Native Sons, Medicine Hat Tigers and Bellevue Lions.

Bellevue was a team from Crowsnest Pass, B.C., 100 miles straight west of Lethbridge, a mining town just on the B.C. side of the famous Rocky Mountains. The pass cuts through the Rocky Mountains from Alberta to B.C. near the U.S. Border. The team played in the Bellevue 2,000 seat Arena.

In an unbalanced schedule, Regina and Moose Jaw played only twenty-six game, while Alberta teams played thirty-two. The first four games between Moose Jaw and Regina counted one point only. All the interprovincial games counted four points. The remainder of the Pats and Canucks games were two points. Monday, December 13th, at Bellevue Arena, the Regina Pats and the Lions played through a penalty free game.

1948-1949 - Regina Pats Roster: Goalies: Don McNiven, Bob Arniel Defense: Ken Barlow (Captain), Jim McGowan, Ron Robertson, Morley McNeill, Al King Centre: Morley Melkejohn, Greg Greenough, Mickey Lynch, Paul Masnick, Marv Bregg Right Wing: Lorne Davis, John "Bunnie" Smith, Bobby Hall, Ron Larter Left Wing: Dough McDonald, Doug Hingley, Merv Bregg, Mark Harrison Coach-Manager: Murray Armstrong Trainers: Bob Bentley, Jack Ansell

League Semi-Final - Wednesday, February 23, roaring into the battle as if their lives depended upon the outcome, the third place Regina Pats sent the experts scurrying for shelter as they upset the highly favoured first place Moose Jaw Canucks 6-1. Lorne Davis scored a hat trick. Pats centre Merv Bregg, returning, after a three-week injury, was a big help for the winner, assisting on all Davis' three goals.

Bunny Smith made it 4-0 at the one minute mark in the third period on a break-a-way while Pats were shorthanded with Moose Jaw's McGown in the penalty box. Moose Jaw rookie Glenn "Baldy" Smith broke Donald McNiven's bid for a shutout four minutes later.

Saturday, February 26, Regina completely out-hustled the Canucks for a well-earned 8-2 victory at Queen City Gardens. The white shirts unleashed a brilliant attack with relentless checking backed by youthful Donald McNiven's superb goal tending which had Moose Jaw disorganized for almost sixty minutes. Moose Jaw's goalie Earl Betker was injured shortly after Pats second goal when he crashed his head into the crossbar of the net when his own defenseman Torchy Pechet fell against him during a Pats rush. He was then replaced by sub-goalie Terry Rogerson.

Pats scored their first three goals while Moose Jaw was shorthanded in the first period. Hardworking Bunny Smith was Pats scoring ace bagging in 3 goals, all unassisted; Greg Greenough had 2 goals and Paul Masnick and Doug McDonald were Pats' other goal scorers. Glen Smith and defenseman Don Vogan replied for Moose Jaw.

Monday, February 28, Pats scored a 4-2 victory over Moose Jaw at the Regina Gardens. The game was costly for Lawrence Popein, high scoring forward for Moose Jaw. He suffered a possible concussion and skull fracture at the midpoint of the first period as he crashed into the boards. He was then taken to the Regina Grey Nuns (Pasqua) Hospital.

Down 2-1 after the first period, Pats led 3-2 after two periods. Moose Jaw outplayed Regina Pats in the first 15 minutes of the game, as they took a 2-0 lead. The game turned around near the end of the period when Pats Bunny Smith took a pass from defenseman Ron Robertson and beat Canucks goalie. Pats Merv Bregg scored two goals, one in the second period and the only goal in the third period.

Wednesday, March 2, Moose Jaw received good news, Popein did not have a concussion or fracture and would be released that day. It sparked the club and they went on to win their first game 5-2. Rookie right winger Glen Smith figured in on three of Moose Jaw's five goals as he scored 2 goals and assisted on another. Moose Jaw led 3-0 after the second period. Regina Pats blonde, Lorne Davis scored both Pats goals in the third period while Moose Jaw were shorthanded.

Saturday, March 5, in front of the largest crowd since 1945 at Harry Battle's Arena, Moose Jaw downed the Regina Pats 4-2. Canucks came up with their flashiest display of the series. After grabbing the only goal of the speedy first period the Pats faded badly.

Moose Jaw outscored the Pats 3-1 in the second period. The game winning goal came in the dying minutes of the second period when Bud Andrew, standing just off the goal crease, tipped in Wylie's long pass. Rookies Merv Bregg and Greg Greenough scored for the Pats, both while Moose Jaw were short handed. Jackie McLeod was Moose Jaw's top scorer with two goals.

Monday, March 7, for the second night in a row, one of the largest crowds to see a Junior game that year in Saskatchewan saw Moose Jaw edge the Pats 5-4 at Queen City Gardens before 6,323 fans. Returning Lawrence Popen was the hero of the game scoring 2 goals, including the winner in the third period.

Moose Jaw took a 3-0 lead before Pats scored with thirty seconds remaining in the first period. At the start of the third period, Pats scored 2 opening period goals in 26 seconds at the three minute mark. Greg Greenough was Pats top scorer with 2 goals and assisting on a third goal.

The following night, a sloppy bouncing goal wrapped up the series as Moose Jaw topped the Pats by a 2-1 margin. The goal came 3 minutes into the third period. Pats veteran Lorne Davis gave Doug MacDonald a long pass and Dough, near the goal crease, slipped the puck past Betker to score at the 2:05 mark and tied the game. With several players scrambling around him Moose Jaw defenseman Don Johnston surged down to the Regina end. He let go a long low shot from just inside the Pats blue line which went through several players before rolling and hopping into a corner of the net. Popein scored Moose Jaw's other goal in the first period and also assisted on the winning goal.

The same night second place Calgary Buffaloes defeated fourth place Lethbridge 6-2 and take their series in six games. Moose Jaw lost to Calgary in the League Championship. Calgary were thumped by Brandon Wheat Kings in the Abbott Cup Western Final. Wheat Kings went on and lost to Montreal Royals in the Memorial Cup in 8 games.

1949-1950 - Season - The League had the same teams as the previous year. The only change was Bellevue Lions changed to Crows Nets Pass Lions. All teams played a 40 game schedule.

Coach Murray Armstrong looked to rural Saskatchewan and found Eddie Litzenberger from Weyburn, a 16-year old Gordon Cowan and brother Harold from the Shaunavon area, Doug Little from Carrot River, Joe Sauve from Melville, plus goalie Bob Tyler, a 16-year old from Gimli, Manitoba.

On Monday, December 5, Regina Pats were in last place. Coach Murray Armstrong started 16 year old rookie Bob Tyler. Tyler helped the team finish in third place and take them all the way to the Memorial Cup Final. He played another three seasons with the Pats, playing in all the games.

1949-1950 Regina Pat Roster: Goalies: Bob Tyler, Ted Avison, Bob Arneil Defense: Morley MacNeill (Captain), Jim McGowan, Jim Ross, Al King, Joe Sauve, John Reeve, Bernie Grebinsky Centre: Paul Masnick, Merv Bregg, Brian McDonald Right Wing: Lorne Davis, Eddie Litzenberger, Harold Cowan, Ted Yarnton Left Wing: Gord Cowan, Bob Hall, Doug Little, Jack Chandler, Doug McDonald Coach-Manager: Murray Armstrong Trainer: Bob Bentley

League Semi-Final - Wednesday, March 8, the largest Regina Junior Hockey crowd of the season saw Ken Doraty's Moose Jaw Canucks come out with a 4-3 victory at the Regina Stadium. Canucks have not lost a play-off series to a Regina junior club in five years. They got off to a 2-0 lead in the first period on goals by Jack Shave at 19:22 and 32 seconds later, jack Lindsay scored on a 10 foot drive.

In the second period, Pats tied the game on two quick goals. Ed Litzenberger scored at 3:10 as he stick-handled to the right side of the net and caught the far corner. One minute and nine seconds later, Paul Masnick scored on Litzenberger's pass. In the third period Canucks scored two quick goals by Herman Weitzel and Donald Haley 25 seconds apart at the 6:52 mark. litzenberger closed out the scoring at 17:50 during a scramble around the net.

Saturday, March 11, a break-a-way after only two minutes and 45 seconds of the over-time, Paul Masnick whistled a low drive through the skates of Moose Jaw goalie Terry Rogerson giving Regina a 5-4 victory. Canucks started out like a house on fire grabbing a 2-0 lead in the first three minutes of the game, when Jack Lindsay scored at 1:25 on a tip in. One minute later he scored again as he drifted a shot from the right boards over Pats goalie Bob Tyler's shoulder. Pats rookie 17 year-old Reeve scored with three minutes remaining in the first period.

In the second period Gord Cowan tied the game on a hard shot at the 6:20 mark and Lorne Davis was home free from Moose Jaw's blue line with 1 minute left in the period giving Pats a 3-2 lead going into the third period. In the third period Pats defenseman Al King scored on a blue line screen shot. Canucks coach Ken Doraty then pulled some strategy during the final five minutes when he pulled goalie Rogerson three times, resulting in two goals which sent the game into overtime.

Monday, March 13, Regina downed Moose Jaw 5-3 at Moose Jaw Arena. Midway through the first period, Pats Paul Masnick broke across the Moose Jaw blue line and was sandwiched between two defenseman. He then passed to Eddie Litzenberger who came roaring in on right wing. He went in and faked goal tender Rogerson out of position and scored the first goal. Moose Jaw Popein scored a power play goal two minutes later. He was parked at the goal crease as he received a blue line pass from Shauve.

Early in the second period Popein scored his second goal and Eddie Litzenberger replied, later in the period, scoring on his own rebound. Pats led 3-2 after the second period. Regina's gord Cowan scored on a relay pass from Paul Masnick 23 seconds into the third period. Canucks Jack Lindsay fed a pass to Herman Weitzel who was streaking in towards the neat and scored at 2:56. Pats Bregg scored on a 18 footer at 11:58 with Lindsay in the penalty box.

Wednesday, March 15, Moose Jaw's Championship streak came to an end at the Regina Stadium. Pats scored 3 goals in the third period to down the Canucks 6-4. it was the season's top comeback as the injury plagued Pats bounced back after losing the opening game of the series, then winning 2 games in Moose Jaw. The Canucks twice blew 2 goal leads.

Seventeen year old Eddie Litzenberger, product from Yorkton and Weyburn Juveniles, was Pats big scorer with 3 goals in each period. Near the 15 minute mark of the first period of the game was delayed when the Stadium lights went out for 15 minutes. When the game continued Moose Jaw's Cowan scored to give Moose Jaw a 3-2 lead after the first period. With Pats trailing 4-3, they erupted for three straight goals in the final period.

The first place Lethbridge Native Sons were a tired bunch playing four games in 6 day, 3 going into overtime against the fourth place Medicine Hat Tigers.

League Final - Saturday, March 18, Regina Pats Lorne Davis lit up the goal light four times and helped his team to a 8-4 victory over the pennant winning Lethbridge Native Sons at the Regina Stadium. Lethbridge scored the first goal at 1:35 when Lee Hyssop picked up a loose puck at the blue line, skated in, and scored. The crowd saw Davis ram home 3 goals in 4 minutes, his first at 6:10 from the right side of the net. Pats led 4-1 after the first period.

In the second period, Paul Masnick directed Gord Cowan's slow shot at 1:56 and 1 minute later Native Son's Bill Dea flipped a shot over Pats sprawled goalie Bob Tyler. Pats Bregg then scored 3 minutes later before Lethbridge scored 2 quick goals, 14 seconds apart; 30 seconds later. Pats' Little and Lorne Davis scored one minute apart; midway through the third period.

Monday, March 20, Lethbridge downed Regina 6-4 at Regina Stadium. Gord Cowan, the blond Shaunavon lad, was Pats best attacker scoring 3 goals. His first two were the game opening goals. Both were identical as Paul Masnick passed from behind the net. Lethbridge came back and tied the game on Bill Chandler's goal at 15:09 and Lee Hyssop one minute and 30 seconds later.

Lethbridge's Jim "Shorty" Malacko lifted a high shot from centre ice and trickled in to the net for the only second period goal. In the third period a costly penalty by Lorne Davis gave the Sons two quick goals near the third minute mark and Pats replied with two quick goals by Paul Masnick and Gord Cowan at the five minute mark. Native Sons Cal Hockey scored their sixth goal at 15:50 on his own rebound.

Wednesday, March 22, the hottest forward line in the WCJHL did it again. The slick working machine of Paul Masnick, Ed Litzenberger, and Gordie Cowan caught Lethbridge flat footed. Before a sell-out crowd at the Lethbridge Arena, Pats took a 6-5 win over the Native Sons.

Litzenberger came through with three goals. Masnick picked up two goals and had two assists and became the leading point getter in the play-offs with 20 points. Litzenberger opened the scoring at 3:04 of the first period scoring two goals. Pats lead 3-2 after the first period. Ed scored his third goal at 12:47 of the second period on McGowan's rebound. Paul Masnick made the score 5-2 with only one minute left in the period.

In the third period Native Sons Steve Arisman scored at the five minute mark on a solo effort. Pats Paul Masnick scored his second goal on a break-a-way two minutes later. Lethbridge Steve Gryschuk rounded out the scoring with two quick goals at 9:29, both identical goals from the right side.

Thursday, March 23, Native Sons 8-5 victory evened the series. Coach Murray Armstrong lodged a protest based on a second period incident when Lethbridge coach Pete Slobodain (Ex-Regina Senior Ace defenseman) rushed onto the playing surface. Solobodian was then ordered from the game by referee George Fisher; however, the coach remained in the seats close to the players' box and did not leave the rink.

In the first period Lethbridge took a 2-0 lead on Bill Chandler and Bill Dea's goals before Regina Pats Gord Cowan and McDonald scored. There were 3 goals in 29 seconds in the final minute of play, Eddie Litzenberger at 19:15, the Native Sons Lee Hysop at 19:23, and finally Pats Lorne Davis on a shot-handed goal at 19:44 in a wild first period. Regina led 4-3. In the second period Lethbridge scored 3 unsanswered goals by Jack Chandler, Jack Yucylus, and Art Stone to give the Native Sons a 6-4 lead going into the final period.

Saturday, The Leader Post read: "Coach Slobodian suspended for one game, fined $25 and must watch the game from the stands."

Monday, March 27, the Regina Pats edged the Native Sons 2-1 in the fifth and deciding game. All the scoring was confined to the first period. Seventeen year old Gord Cowan, youngest of five hockey brother from Shaunavon, was the big trigger man for the Pats.

Lethbridge's Malacko scored first at 5:50, a shot to the open corner of the net. Seven seconds later Regina Pats Paul Masnick won the face-off and passed to Gord Cowan who shook off two Lethbridge defenders and scored his first goal. The winning goal came from a pass by Masnick at the right boards at the 16:23 mark. With three minutes left in the game, manager Ed Bruchet, substituting for coach Peter Slobodian pulled his goaltender for a sixth attacker. "Victory is sweet!" yelled Paul Masnick as he rushed into the Pats dressing room following the game.

Western Semi-Final - Wednesday, March 29, Regina Pats were leading 2-1 in the second period, when they scored four goals in a 2 minute span going on to defeat the Prince Albert Mintos 7-2. The largest crowd, 5,500 to ever witness a junior hockey game since the arena was built in 1937 jammed the old Saskatoon Arena. A five minute major penalty to Prince Albert defenseman Ronald Clearwater saw the Pats take advantage as they put four goals past goalie Bill Hunter. The penalty was when Clearwater gave a stiff body check to Pat's Merv Bregg which resulted in a concussion. Regina Pats Eddie Litzenberger was the top scorer with two goals and one assist.

Saturday, April 1, "That second period again" was the way coach Don McCullough summed up Pats 5-2 victory over Prince Albert at the Regina Queens Gardens. Once again it was the Pats scoring three goals in less than four minutes in the middle period.

The Regina Pats found the northern champions troublesome in the first seven minutes, but once again, they extricated themselves. They peppered 38 shots many being spectacular at the Prince Albert goal tender Bill Hunter. Eddie Litzenberger had two goals and Gord Cowan had three assists for the Pats. An old familiar face, Al Ritchie who was now scouting for the New York Rangers, took in the game.

Tuesday, April 4, rugged Paul Masnick came up with a top notch performance as he led the Pats to a 7-5 victory. With bot clubs tied 3-3 in the second period, Pats Morley MacNeill scored with three seconds remaining in the period to give Regina a 4-3 lead going into the third period.

Thursday, April 6, Regina Pats turned aside the Mintos 7-2. Regina took a 3-0 lead in the second period and upped the count to 5-0 before Prince Albert tallied their first goals. Paul Masnick, Bobby Hall and Doug Little each scored two goals. Little scored his two in the first period, 15 seconds apart midway through the period.

There is an impressive list of accomplishments engraved behind the Pats name. They are the Saskatchewan Champions for the first time since 1933 and the first Regina Junior Club to reach a western final in 17 years.

Western Final - Thursday, April 13, Regina Pats came from behind with a 4-2 deficit in the third period to tie the game 5-5 at regulation time. Pats went on to win 8-5 in overtime against the favoured Port Arthur Bruins. Gordon Cowan, Paul Masnick and Lorne Davis lowered the boom in the over-time period as they scored three goals in 2 minutes and 10 seconds lat the the straight ten minute overtime.

Saturday, April 15, Port Arthur downed the Regina Pats 6-3 and on Monday, back by the fine net minding of Bob Tyler, the Regina Pats whitewashed Leo Barnin's chargers 4-0. It was the final game of the season on Port Arthur ice as the series now switched to the Regina Stadium.

Pats were listless in the first period but warmed up in the middle session when Paul Masnick .... (Cartoon - Regina Leader Post) notched their first goal. In the third period Eddie Litzenberger, Doug Little and Lorne Davis scored.

After a long tiring 20-hour train trip, with Port Arthur in the car behind the Pats, they arrived late Tuesday night in Regina.

Wednesday, April 19, weathering a torrid third period storm in which they were out-scored 2-0 and out-shot 16-4, Pats held on knocking over the Port Arthur Bruins 5-3 before a jam packed stadium of 5,778 fans.

Four goals were scored during the first eight minutes of the game as Pats took a 3-1 lead with Gordon Cowan, Jim McGowan and Merv Bregg scoring. Bobby Hall and Ted Yarnton extend it to 5-1 in the second period. Bruins were at their best in the third period was they threatened and swarmed all over the Pats. Dave Whalen and Maurice Levesque cut the lead by scoring for the Lakehead but it wasn't enough.

Friday, April 21, battered and bruised, Murray Armstrong's Regina Pats took a thrilling 1-0 victory in front of cheering on lookers. Slowed down by a bad charley horse, rugged Paul masnick was the man of the hour. He broke the tenseness of the second period when he received a pass from defenseman Jim McGowan. He swerved in front of the Port Arthur goal and let a 12 footer go. Port Arthur fought right to the end. With 55 seconds remaining in regulation time, Pats MacNeil was penalized when he tripped Rob Wrightself near the goal mouth. Bruins pulled their goalie Morin for a sixth attacker.

Memorial Cup Finalist - The National Hockey League (NHL) had been sponsoring junior teams since 1946. This year's Canadian Championship was to have an all Montreal Canadiens sponsored National Memorial Cup series.

Thursday, April 27, in a free-scoring game, Montreal Canadiens saw ten goals scored in the third period as the edged Regina Pats 8-7, before 10,414 fans. In the last 20 minutes of play the fans were kept on the edge of their seats. Although they skated off with the triumph, the Monteal team received a severe blasting from the fiery Sam Pollock for blowing a four goal lead in the final period.

Dickie Moore, Donald Marshall and Art Rose sparked the Quebec City with two goals apiece. Defenseman Morley MacNeill put on a one-man show for the Pats as he slammed home three goals and practically alone, kept the Pats in the game until the dying moments.

Saturday, April 29, a four-goal rally in the third period gave Montreal a 5-2 victory over the Regina Pats. Another large crowd of 10,000 saw the Pats run into a flurry of third period penalties which cost them. Pats protected a 2-1 lead early in the final period, but Montreal rapped in the tying and winning goals while defenseman Al King sat out a penalty midway through the period.

The series then moved to the Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens where the Pats, after check into the Royal York Hotel, boarded a bus for a 90 minute sight-seeing trip along the Queen Elizabeth Highway to Niagara Falls. They then returned to the Gardens where the team had a short practice.

Tuesday, May 2, Montreal downed the Pats 5-1. The opening period was scoreless and the only goal in the second period was Montreal's Don Marshall scoring his first of two goals halfway through the period. In the third period Montreal scored three goals in 43 seconds near the three minute mark to take a 4-0 lead. Regina Pats Paul Masnick scored Pats lone goal, a pass from Gordon Cowan, while having the man advantage at the 18:23 mark to close out the scoring and destroy goalie Roger Morrissette shutout. The teams then left for Montreal on the same train for the remainder of the series.

Thursday, May 4, back at the Montreal Forum, Regina Pats coach Murray Armstrong grinned, "That was more like the hockey we are capable of," after his club's 7-4 victory over the local Canadiens. It looked pretty dim for Regina, down 4-1 near the 15 minute mark of the second period. Pats struck for three goals in 3 minutes, all on the power play to tie the game going into the third period.

The baby Habs were short handed in the last minute, coach Sam Pollock had pulled his goalie with 45 seconds remaining. Pat's Lorne Davis was not aware the net was empty until he let his shot go from inside Canadiens blue line for his third goal of the game with but 25 seconds remaining in the game.

Saturday, May 6, Regina were good losers when the final horn went, losing 7-3. At one point Montreal had run up a 6-1 lead. The heartbreak was in the second period when centre Art Rose scored two goals 6 seconds apart. Pats never gave up and two goals by Merv Bregg and little Brian McDonald reduced the margin to a respectable score. The big guns in the series were Montreal forwards; Billy Goold with six goals and 7 assists, plus Art Rose with eight goals.