Friday, February 3, 2012

1950-51 and 1951-52 (Memoral Cup Bound)

Rebuilding began that season when Schneider, Grebinsky, Reeve, Killoh, and Papp jumped directly to the Pats from the famous Gordon Currie's Balfour Tech school in Regina. On Monday, November 20th, Regina started their longest regular season home ice unbeaten streak to date, lasting 32 games. It began with an 11-3 victory over the Medicine Hat Tigers. The same Tigers ended the streak February 7, 1952, against the Pats 4-3. During the streak, Regina recorded 29 wins and had 3 ties. That season the Edmonton Oil Kings were formed.

1950-51 Regina Pats Roster - Goalies: Bob Tyler, Herb Powell Defense: Joe Sauve, Tony Schneider, Al King, Bernie Grebinsky, John Reeve, Harvey Schmidt Sr. Centre: Gary Edmundson, Warren Dowie, Jack McDonald, Gordon Cowan Right Wing: Eddie Litzenberger (Captain), Harold Cowan, Doug Killoh, Ted Yarnton, Ted Avison Left Wing: Johnny "Bunny" Smith, Bill Papp, Harvey Schmidt Sr., Brian McDonald, Gordon Cowan Coach-Manager: Murray Armstrong Trainer: Sandy Archer President: Beattie Ramsay Executive: Archie Biggart Doctor: W.C. Rennick

On the WJHL League All-Star Team, three Regina Pats were picked: Eddie Litzenberger, Right Wing; John Smith Left Wing and Murray Armstrong, Coach.

Semi-League Final - At the end of the season Regina Pats five day trip throughout Alberta was extended when they had to open their play-offs at Medicine Hat.

Thursday, February 22, Gary "Duke" Edmundson's insertion into the lineup was a good choice by coach Armstrong. Gary, the crew cut husky centre from Grande Prairie, Alberta, was a ball of fire scoring two goals and assisting on two others. Regina Pats dumped the local Medicine Hat Tigers 6-2 in the opener.

Medicine Hat did everything but score int he first few minutes of the game. It wasn't until 16:41 of the first period they finally scored on Rod Stafford's goal. Gary Edmundson then scored for the Pats less then two minutes later to the tie the game. In the second period Pats scored three straight goals before the Tigers scored their second goal in the last minute of the period. Pats fourth goal had Doug Killoh scoring from eight feet from the side of the net. His shot bounced in off Medicine Hat's goalie Murray Dodd's stick.

Saturday, February 24, Regina simply couldn't hot that Tiger as Medicine Hat clawed their way to a 6-1 victory at the Hat Arena. Tigers scored on their first shot by Haley. Eddie Litzenberger scored Pats lone goal less then a minute later to tie the game on a solo effort. Medicine Hat then struck for two quick goals 10 seconds apart with less the 3 minutes remaining in the opening period to lead 3-1. In the second period pats Bunny Smith scored early in the period, only to have referee Garth Piling disallow the goal due to a Pat player being in the goal crease.

Monday, February 26, Regina Pats downed the Tabbie 4-2. With the victory the pressure on them had been lifted as they now returned to the Queen City. Regina opened the scoring when Doug Killoh received a perfect pass form Gary Edmundson, went in on the goalie, and scored. With little over a minute remaining in the first period, Medicine Hat's Bruce Cooke scored to tie the game. Bunny Smith scored to break the tie in the second period at the two minute mark and set up Eddie Litzenberger's goal two minutes later. Both teams boarded the train shortly after midnight heading to Regina for the fourth game later that day.

Tuesday, February 27, Eddie Litzenberger scored 3 goals and 3 assist to lead the Regina Pats to a lopsided 12-2 win over the Medicine Hat tigers. pats scored 4 goals each period while Medicine Hat scored their 2 goals in the opening period. Leading 5-2 in the second period, Pats struck for 3 goals within 21 seconds at the midway point of the second period. John "Bunny" Smith was Regina's other top scorer with 2 goals and assisted on all Lizenberger's goals.

Thursday, March 1, with only 1 second remaining in the game, Regina Pats Bill Papp scored to put the Pats in double figures for the second straight night winning 10-3. Regina scored 3 goals in the first 7 minutes of the game. Pats lead 4-0 after the first period. Goals by Litzenberger and Bunny Smith, 21 seconds apart in the second period, gave the Pats a 6-0 lead at the 3 minute mark before the Tigers scored their 3 unanswered goals. Pats led 7-3 going into the third period. For the second straight night Eddie Litzenberger scored 3 goals and recorded his ninth hat trick of the season. Gary "Duke" Edmundson also notched a trio of markers all in the first period. Gordon Cowan had a goal and 3 assists, while Bunny Smith had a goal and 4 helpers.

Meanwhile the third place Crows Nets Pass Lions made a major upset over the first place pennant winners Lethbridge Native Sons 4-1 in the other series.

League Final - Monday, March 5, Pats were pressed into action after a gruelling 26-hour train and bus trip to the mining centre. Stormy weather in the Medicine area, plus a train derailment in front of them, prevented the Pats team from reaching their destination until nine hours later. They arrived at 8:45 and the game got under way at 9:00 p.m.

Crows Nest edged the favoured tiered Pats 3-2. The Lions took the opener on the strength of Clarence Jaster's winning goal at 5:57 of the final period. He lifted a rising shot up into the right corner of the net. Both teams scored a goal in the first and second periods.

The following night, Scotty Munro's mountaineers beat Regina 7-4. The Lions led 1-0 after the opening period and 4-0 before Regina scored at the midway point of the second period. Gary Edmundson battled his way out of the corner and scored on a 20 footer that surprised goalie Al Buchotz. In the third period Lions scored at 1:29 only to have Pat's Ted Yarnton score 35 seconds later. Both teams then exchanged goals twice before the final bell. Gene Achtymichuk proved to be the spark plug for the local lads as he scored 2 goals and assisted on 3 others. The
series now shifted to Regina where all remaining games were to be played on the larger and wider rink.

Thursday, March 8, after spotting Crows Nest the opening goal, Pats went on to thump the visitors 11-4. The goal judge behind the Crows Nest net was a trigger happy character. When the opening period concluded, he flicked on the red light 6 times. Pats whipped home 4 goals in the last 5 minutes of the period. Pats upped the score to 8-2 after the second period. For Regina it was Bunny Smith, Gordon Cowan and Brian McDonald scoring 2 goals apiece while Eddie
Litzenberger had 4 assists. Vern Pascal, the Yorkton lad, triggered in on all the Lions goals, scoring 1 goal and had 3 assists.

Saturday, March 10, Regina dished up another masterful display as the Pats drubbed Crows Nest 9-2 to even the series. Lions goalie Al Bucholz nicknamed the "Bandit" after the Lethbridge series. He wasn't at fault for the goals as he was brilliant in many outstanding save having 41 Pat shots peppered at him, half of them coming in the final period. Pats led 3-0 after the first period and 4-1 after the second period. The Kid Line of Dowie, Doug Killoh and Bill Papp accounted for 4 Pat goals. Eddie Litzenberger and Gary Edmundson scored 2 goals apiece.

Monday, March 12, Scotty Munro's boys held off the Pats to gain a 3-2 victory and move within one game of the League Championship. The Lions caught Pats off guard, taking a 3-0 lead into the second period. In the second period Pat;s Bunny Smith was left alone of the net and scored on a slow shot that triggered passed the goalie's legs. Within 2 minutes of the third period centre Gordon Cowan won the face-off, went in front of the net, drilled a low shot, and scored. With minutes remaining, and the goalie out of position, Dough Killoh had a chance to tie the game when he missed the corner of the net. Once again Regina came up against a hot netminder, out- shooting the Lions 41-25.

Wednesday, March 14, Pats deadlocked the League Final, defeating the Lions 6-1, before 5,972, a season record crowd. They saw an endless parade to the penalty box. There were 12 major and 15 minors handed out to the 2 clubs by the 2 officials. A team brawl broke out at the 12 minute mark of the third period with 3 spectators throwing bottles onto the ice.

Pats rookie Doug Killoh, who owns one of the most powerful shots in the league, opened the scoring at the 11 minute mark in the first period. Gordon Cowan made it 2-0 after taking a pass from Eddie Litzenberger. Crows Nest broke Bob Tyler's bid for a shut out when Pashl scored the final goal of the game with only 4 minutes remaining in the game.

Thursday, March 15, Bunny Smith proved his great ability as a clutch player when he scored the winner on a 2 man break with Harold Cowan early in the second period, it gave the Pats a 3-2 victory before 6,012 and the League Championship. Harold got a loose puck at his own blue line and broke out with Smith. Bunny received the pass and rifled a drive from the left boards that caught the far corner of the net. Clarence Jaster, a teammate with Eddie Litzenberger while playing midget and juvenile hockey at Weyburn, scored both Crows Nest Pass goals.

Prince Albert fooled the experts, side lining the favoured Flin Flon Bomber 3 straight and were riding on a 6 game winning streak.

Western Canada Quarter Final - Saturday, March 17, the Prince Albert Mintos gave their all, only to be edged 2-1 by the Pats at the Regina Stadium. Minto's Jackie Drew broke the scoreless tie scoring near the 18 minute mark of the second period when he was left all alone in front of the net. One minute later Eddie Litzenberger scored for the Pats with the man advantage when he received a pass from Bunny Smith behind the net. Litzenberger then drilled a low shot into the right corner of the net. The same Litzenberger scored the winning goal early in the third period when he scored on his own rebound. It was Pats fifth game in eight nights. They looked tired and they were only able to get 16 shot on Minto goal tender Red McPhedran.

Monday, March 19, bottled up during the past 2 games, the mighty Pats scoring punch overflowed again as Pats whipped the Mintos 8-2. Eddie Litzenberger chalked up his 10th hat rick performance of the campaign by scoring one goal per period. With every three goal performance Pats coach Murray Armstrong digs into his pocket and gives ten dollars to the player. Prior to the game Eddie mentioned, "I went out an got myself a new grey fedora hat today. I better score 3 goals against the Mintos tonight and get it paid for."

A fluky goal 7 minutes into the game by pats Gordon Cowan took the sting out of the Mintos. A flip shot by Cowan deflected off a Minto defenseman hitting the goal post and dropping into to the net. Litzenberger scored 20 minutes later on a break-a-way. Prince Albert were trailing 3-1 in the second period when Regina scored 4 goals in the span of 5 minutes, starting near the mid point of the period to break the game wide open.

Thursday, March 22, John Halley's 3 goal performance sparked Prince Albert to a 7-4 victory over the Pats before the largest crowd 3,600 in Prince Albert history. The first period was scoreless until Regina's Ted Yarnton scored in the first minute of the second period. Four minutes later Prince Albert scored 3 straight goals to take a 3-1 lead going into the third period. Regina's Bunny Smith scored unassisted 15 seconds into the period on a backhanded shot. There were 7 goals scored in the wide open period. Litzenberger, the powerhouse in the play-offs, was held scoreless until he scored the final goal of the game at 13:15 on a backhander that fooled the Minto goalie.

Saturday, March 24, Prince Albert's defenseman John Halley's blazing 20 foot low slap-shot at 15:03 of the third period gave the Minto a close 5-4 victory over Regina, while Pats Willie Papp sat in the penalty box. Mintos led 4-2 after the second period. Regina Pats carried the major part of the play, peppering Prince Albert goal tender Ralph McPhedran with 61 shots while Pats Bob Tyler had 38 shots in a free-wheeling game. Right Winger Jim Kocourek led Prince Albert with 3 goals, all coming in the second period. Regina scoring was done by four Pats - Al King, Doug Killoh, John Reeve, and Litzenberger.

Monday, March 26, Prince Albert were 3 minutes away from being classed as winners; then pats uncorked a blistering 3 goal attack to snatch a 7-5 victory right from under the Minto's noses. Chuck Holdaway scored his fourth goal of the game midway through the third period to put his club into a 5-4 lead. The Mintos had visions of pulling a major upset.

The tide turned shortly after at the 17 minute mark, when Brian McDonald circled his own net, stick-handled all the way down the ice and broke into the clear. His shot hit the right-hand post, then rolled over the goal line. At 19:11 Duke Edmundson relayed a pass from the blue line to Bill Papp who was home free and whistled a low drive into the net. Mintos then pulled the goal tender for , April 4, Regina took a 6-2 victory over the Oil Kings. Regina's Bunny Smith worked the puck out to centre ice and drifted a shot into the open net.

Western Canada Semi-Final - Due to a very poor attendance at Edmonton, the series had all the games played at the Regina Stadium.

Saturday, March 31, handling his trusty goal stick, Pat's young Bob Tyler blanked the Edmonton Oil Kings 4-0. The 18 year old goalie, owner of the best goal average in the WCHL for two straight years, turned aside 28 shots in recording his first shutout of the play-offs. It wasn't until 9:30 of the second period that the scoreless tie was broken when Pat's Doug Killoh scored the first goal. The rink-length dash was the prettiest goal of the game. He rushed in from the left side and beat Oil Kings goalie Buddy Noon. Brian McDonald scored less than a minute later to give the Pats a 2-0 lead after 2 periods.

John Reeve and Gary Edmundson scored in the third period. Jack McDonald, who started the season with the Pats, was Oil Kings top player as he checked and carried many of the teams rushes. Edmonton came close to scoring when Don Fraser nicked the goal post midway in the third period.

Monday, April 2, a shifty pair of forwards, whose scoring hadn't been to numerous that season, lead Regina Pats to a 6-2 triumph over Edmonton. Pats Gary Edmundson scored after taking Brian McDonald's pass. he fired a high shot that hit Oil King's goalie Noon's shoulder and bounced into the net for the lone goal of the first period.

McDonald and Edmundson combined again at the 14 minute mark of the second period to give Pats a 2-0 lead. Only 18 seconds later Russ Kowalchuk slapped in Ed Zennicks's goal mouth pass for the Oil Kings first goal of the series. Pats took a 3-2 lead in to the third period and outscored the Oil Kings 3-1. Edmundson, who played for the Oil Kings the previous season, scored 2 goals and had 1 assist. Brian McDonald had 1 goal and 3 assists.

Wednesday, was still filling into their seats when Pats struck for 2 quick goals in the first 41 seconds of the first period to move into a lead they never relinquished. Regina didn't waste much time. Right from the first face-off in Edmonton territory Gary Edmundson centered the puck to Harold Cowan. Harold spun around and shot the puck passed Buddy Noon at the 31 second mark. Only 10 seconds later Cowan's shot rebound out to Edmundson who promptly drilled a drive that bounced into the net off the goal post. Pats led 3-1 after the first period. Oil kings Fraser scored the lone goal in the second period.

Pats final 2 goals came 35 seconds apart near the end of the game. The fist was an typical Eddie Litzenberger fashion as he moved in from the right, pulled Noon out of the net, and slid the puck into the open net. Al King then scored when his shot was deflected into the net.

Friday, April 6, Oil Kings backup goalie Laurie Hodgson had to replace Noon prior to the game when Noon injured his foot in the warm up practice. Bob Tyler's second shutout of the series served as the steping stone as the Pats registered a 2-0 victory over their outclassed rivals. Sharing the spotlight with Tyler were snipers Bunny Smith and Harold Cowan who provided the only goals of the game during the second period.

The first goal had Litzenberger start a rush by dumping the puck on Gordon Cowan's stick and he worked his way to the right side of the net. He took a shot which Laurie Hodgson saved, Smith scored on the rebound at the 7:30 mark. With only 2 minutes remaining in the period, Edmundson centered out a pass to Harold Cowan who moved inside the blue line and let a hard blast go.

Western Canada Final - Abbott Cup - The series between Port Arthur and Winnipeg had three 1-0 games in the tight series. Wednesday, April 11, Winnipeg won the seventh game 3-2 as Pats coach Murray Armstrong took in the last 2 games of the series. The Winnipeg monarchs left right after the game and arrived in Regina early Thursday.

Thursday, April 12, Regina Pats skated to a 3-1 win over the Monarchs. Pat's Warren Dowie scored the only goal in the first period assisted by his two linemates, Bill Papp and Doug Killoh. Pats centre Gordon Cown and Papp scored to make it 3-0 in the second period. All Regina's 3 goals were scored on rebounds. Winnipeg's lone goal came two minutes later when left winger Laurie Mitchell scored on a hard drive from the left side of the Pats net.

Saturday, April 14, spurred on by the brilliant goal tending of Don Collins, the purple and white clad Monarchs came up with a 5-5 overtime tie with the Pats. Collins was sensational as he held off the hungry Pat attackers. He had to be particularly sharp in the third period when Regina held a commanding 16-3 edge in shots. The clubs were tied 2-2 after the first period and 4-4 after the second period. The third period was scoreless.

Three times Pats had to come from behind. Winnipeg took the lead 32 seconds into the overtime period when Zarrie scored. Regina's Gord Cown scored at the 5 minute mark of the straight overtime. Doug Killoh's hard shot from the blue line missed the net Bunny Smith steered the puck in front of the net where Cowan scored.

Monday, April 16, holding on to a great defensive stand in the dying minutes, Winnipeg hung grimly to edge the home town Regina Pats 2-1. For the thrid straight game Winnipeg was out shot badly. Only great back-checking and great net minding by Don Collins kept them in the game. Laurie Mitchel scored Winnipeg's first goal at the 5 minute mark of the first period. Dave Trainer upped the score to 2-0 with less then 3 minutes left in the second period only to have Pats Eddie Litzenber score 2 mintues later. Bernie Grebinsky shot from the blue line and hit a defenseman, Bunny Smith tipped the puck to Litzenberger who drilled a low shot into the net.
With one minute and 9 seconds remaining in the game, Psats coach Murray Armstrong pulled Tyle for an extra attacker only to see Winnipeg miss the open net twice.

With the series now moving to Winnipeg's Shea Amphitheatre, Regina Pats left Wednesday night by train.

Thursday, April 20, brawls marred the game as the Monarchs blanked Regina 2-0. The sold out crowd of 5,000 trooped wearliy out of the rink at 11:15, two hours and 45 minutes after the first face-0ff. Policemen were as conspicous on the ice as the players during the first-two periods. The rist 30 minutes took over one hour and thirty-five minutes to complete. Winnipeg's Laurie Mitchell scored the only goal in the opening period near the five minute mark. Ross Parker rounded out the scoring at 18:48 of the third period into an open net.

The brawls during the game resulted in the series committee changing the referees for the remaining games. "The fans along the boards were disgraceful!" Pats coach Murray Armstrong said after the game. "They were pulling our players sticks time and time again." The next day, Winnipeg Free Press Sport's Editor Maurice Smith wrote, "Personally, we don't blame Regina players for taking a swing at the fans. The fans were disgraceful!"

Saturday, April 22, Coach Walter Monson's smaller, speedier boys, swarmed all over the bigger and slower Pats. They had Regina on the roped as the Monarchs took a 5-2 victory. Once agina it was the brilliant net minding of Don Cross keeping Winnipeg in the game.

Winnipeg scored 2 goals in the first period only to see Regina Pats ouscore them 2-1 in the middle period. Pats were trailing 3-0 when Buddy Smith scored at 6:42 of the second period. Eddie Litzenberger had 2 break-a-ways in the period, but could not score. It wasn't until the 17 minute mark he finally scored a pass from Smith. It was a quiet dressing room as the disappointed Pats pulled off their sweaters. "We don't deserve to win if we can't play better hockey that that" piped out Bunny Smith.

Monday, April 24, Pats kept alive their play-off hopes by edging the Monarchs 2-1 before another sell out crowd. "We beat then at their own game!" That was the happy shout raised by the Pat players in the small dressing room after the victory. Gordon Cowan scored both Regina's goals. The new defensive pattern, introduce by the Pats coach Murray Armstrong, played a big part in the win which ended their 4 game winless streak.

Wednesday, April 26, Eddie Litzenberger's goal at 1:47 off overtime, gave Regina a 4-3 edge over the Winnipeg Monarchs. The amazing rally left the sell out Amphitheatre crowd stunned and bewildered. The Pats were down 3-1 late in the third period and the Monarchs were fondly contemplating a victory party. Bunny Smith could see the big clock counting off the remaining minutes of this junior caree. Regina scored two goals in the last 3 minutes and 39 seconds and sent the game into overtime.

It all started when Litzenberger jumped out of the players box, intercepeted a Monarch's pass, and back-handed a high shot passed goalie Collins at 16:21. Less then 2 minutes later McDonald swept into Monarchs; end zone tying the game at 18:03. Litzenberger picked up a slashing penalty at 19:40 of the third period and it was carried over into the overtime. Seven seconds after he stepped on the ice he scored the winner.

Saturday, April 29, the Monarch's speedy hocky team took the Pats in a free scoring contest 8-4. Winnipeg took the series in eight games. The Monarchs took a 2-0 quick lead before Regina Pats' Harvey Schmidt Sr. scored at 13:30. Then Chroley scored his first of two goals at 17:46 to give Winnipeg a 3-1 lead after the first period.

Winnipeg's Ross Parke scored 3 goals in the second period. The game was to all intents and purposes over in the second period when the Monarchs ran up a 7-1 lead. Regina Pats out-scored the Monarchs 3-1 in the final period to make the score more respectful.

1951-1952 - Season - Memorial Cup Bound - On Monday, April 23, 1951, the Leader Post quoted; "The six team WJHL will be enlarged to include the Edmonton Oil Kings. This was decided at a special Junior Hockey League meeting during the weekend at Medicine Hat." For the third time the Crow Nest Pass team changed their club name, this time to the Coalers. The League had an interlocking schedule arrangement with the Saskatchewan Junior hockey League. The Western League teams each played a forty-four game schedule.

1951-1952 Regina Pats Roster - Goalies: Bob Tyler, Joe Selinger Defense: Tony Schneider, John Reeve, Joe Sauve, Bernie Grebinsky, Charle Bellegarde, Bob Turner Centre: Gordon Cowan, Bev Bell, Warren Dowie Right Wing: Eddie Litzenberger (Captain), Harvey Schmidt Sr., Doug Killoh, Jack Chandler Left Wing: Brian McDonald, Bill Papp, Ted Yarnton, Bill Nixon Coach: Murray Armstrong Trainer: Sandy Archer

League Semi-Final - Thursday, March 6, scoring on a break-a-wat early in overtime, Doug Killoh sparked Regina Pats to a 6-4 victory over the Calgary Buffaloes at the Regina Stadium. Doug too a rink-wide pass from Bill Papp, sailed in from the right boards, pulling goalie Hank Bassen out of position for the pay off goal. In the final minute of the extra straight over time Brian McDonald scored the insurance goal.

Regina Pats captain Eddie Litzenberger had three goals including the equalizer. his first was at nine minutes of the first period when he deflected rookie Bob Tuners shot from the blue line. Near the eleven minute mark Calgary's Hank Bassen block three consecutive close range shots by Litzenberger, Reeve and Gordon Cowan on break-a-ways. Pats lead 2-1 after the first period. Both teams were tied 2-2 after the second period and 4-4 after the third period.

Saturday, March 8, Brian McDonald was in a trigger-happy mood as he sparked Pats to a 4-0 victory over Calgary. The 20 year-old assisted on Gordon Gowan's first goal at the six minute mark of the first period. McDonald then banged home three consecutive goals to take a hand in all Pats scoring. Brian's first goal was deflected off Reeve's 30 foot shot at 15:03 of the first period. Less then 30 seconds later on a power play, he scored his second goal off Eddie Litzenberger's point blank shot. Regina Pats Bob Tyler made 20 saves to post the shutout.

Tuesday, March 11, big Eddie Litzenberger's two goals helped the Pats into the League final as the down the local Calgary Buffaloes 3-1 at the Corral. Litzenber scored both his goals in the second period unassisted after the clubs had battled to a scoreless first period tie. Buffaloes Ray Kinasewich scored the first goal of the game when he passed out from the corner, it hit Pats Tylers pads and bounced into the net at the mid point of the second period. Litzenberger scored five minutes later on a similar play and two minutes later he scored his second goal on some poor defensive clearing by Calgary. Pats rookie Bev Bell scored the only goal in the third period at 3:13 when he received a pass from Doug Killoh behind the net, and Bev scored on a hard five foot shot.

League Final - Edmonton Oil Kings scored 30 goals against Lethbridge in their four game semi-final series.

Saturday, March 15, they didn't show any tendency towards becoming great snipers against Regina. Edmonton took a 9-3 walloping at the Regina Stadium. At 5:34 of the opening period Pats Doug Killoh scored and Bill Papp scored one minute later. Both goals were scored on break-a-ways while Regina Pats were short handed. By the 6:37 mark Regina was up 4-1. There wasn't much doubt what the final outcome would be. In the third period Harvey Schmidt and Bev Bell scored goals 21 seconds apart at the 13:00 mark as the Pats outscored Edmonton 4-2 in the period. Regina scored the only goal in the middle period.

Monday, March 17, Jerry Prince hit a small target twice with terrific shots to spark the fighting Edmonto club to a 5-4 overtime victory. ken McAuley's hungry hustlers displayed a great reversal from the Saturday's tussle. With the Pats battling to protect a 3-2 lead, McAuley pulled his goalie and he shoved six men inside the Pats blue line with 37 seconds remaining for an important face-0ff. Edmonton won the draw and Prince took a blazing shot that hit the upper right-hand corner of the net sending the game into overtime.

Jerry Prince went down the left boards and scored on a hight shot at 4:57 of straight overtime. With a face-off in Edmonton's zone with only 59 seconds remaining, Pat's coach Murray Armstrong pulled his goalie. Kings won the face-off and iced the puck. Pats failed the second time and Edmonton missed the open net. The teams scrimmaged in pats end and Bob Turner, acting as goalie, made a save before Jack McDonald finally scored at 9:33. With just five seconds remaining, Gordon Cowan scored, only to have the time run out in a wild finish.

Thursday, March 20, Edmonton and Regina, battled to a 5-5 overtime tie before the largest crowd to see a a hockey game, 7,100 that season. Pats took a 2-0 lead on Eddie Litzenberger's and Ted Yarnton's goals in the first period only to see Edmonton take a 4-2 lead going ino the third period. At the mid point of the third period Eddie started the rally when he recieved a Gordon Cowan's pass at 11:08. The Harvey Schmidt Sr. triggered the tying goal on a pass out from behing the net by John Reeve at the 16:46 mark to force the overtime.

Saturday, March 22, Regina Pats came from behing with three overtime goals in less than five minutes to edge Edmonton 6-4. The game drew the biggest crowd 7,800 in Edmonton Junior Hockey history. Regina came from behind three times in the crucial game. With the game tied 3-3 at regulation time, Edmonton took the lead with little George Townsend scored his second goal at 1:33 of overtime. Pats then scored three straight goals with less then five minutes remaining in the ten minute straight overtime period. Regina's Gordon Cown skated the length of the ice to scored his seond goals at 5:33. Ted Yarnton scored the winning goal two minutes later, then Doug Killoh added the clincher with one minute remaining.

Monday, March 24, Regina Pats wrote a great achievement into theWJHL record book. The Regina fans saw their Pats dump the Edmonton team 5-2, to capture their third straight League Championship at the Regina Stadium before 5,500 fans. pats right wingers: Doug Killoh, and Eddie Litenberger scored the first three goals in the first period and Harvey Schmidt Sr. scored in the second period to give the Pats a 3-0 lead. In the third period, Edmonton's Jack McDonald and Billy NcNeill scored to bring the score to 3-2. A minute later from the face-off Bill Papp skated out of his own zone on a break-a-way pulling goalie Laurie Hodgson out of position and scored into the right corner of the net. With only five minutes left in thegame, Pats' Brian McDonald scored as he deflected Reeves blue line shot on a power play.

Western Canada Semi-Final - Thursday, March 27, that afternoon water seeped down the hill into the south end of the Flin Flon rink covering the ice with two inches of water. Rink officials were able to get the ice ready prior to the game that night.

The Regina Pats took good advantage of their size and sped to build up a three goal lead in the first-two periods. Then they held off a late Flin Flon drive to emerge victorious 3-2. The northern Manitoba mining centrea Arena (seating capacity of 1,100 plus 1,000 standing) was over flowing. Pats lead 3-0 after the second period and held off the Bombers as they scored twice on George Dadson's goal at 4:22 and Doug Orvis goal at the 13:00 mark. Regina Pat's Eddie Litzenberger and Ted Yarnton both had one goal and one assist, while Harvey Schmidt Sr. scored the other Pat goal.

Saturday, March 29, Pats tripped the Bombers 6-2 in easy fashion at Flin Flon. The Bomber scored first on George Dadson's goal at 9:45 of the first period. Two minjtes later Pats centre Gordon Cowan scored unassisted. In the second period Regina Pats scored four unanswered goals. just after serving a penalty, Gordon Cown scored his second goal, when he received Doug Killoh's pass and went in home free at 2:22. Eddie Litzenberger, Dogh Killoh and Ted Yarnton followed and it proved to be all Regina Pats needed.

Monday, March 31, Regina Pats first line of Eddie Litzenberger, Gordon Cowan and Brian McDonald did all the damage as Regina Pats trounced Flin Flon 9-1 at the Regina Exhibition Stadium. Litzenberger had a hat trick plus two assists for five points, Cowan two goals and one assist, while McDonald had four assists. Goals came fast and easy for the Pats during the first period as they flashed the red light five times and upped the score to 6-1 after the second period. Pats had several chances in the third period but couldn't score until Gordon Cowan triggered with 12 second remaining in the game.

Wednesday, April 2, Regina came from behind to force overtime and win 6-4, taking the series in four straight. Bombers scored four goals only to have Flin Flon's only penalty of the game be costly, as Fred Creighton went off at 8:12 of the third period. Pats pressed five forwards into action and did everything but scored in the first minute and a half of the penalty. Eddie Litzenberger then shot wide and Bill Papp scored on the rebound at 10:00. Less then a minute later, at full strength, Ted Yarnton scored into the upper right-hand corner at 10:56 to tie the game and neight club could score to force the game into overtime.

Third stringers Ted Yarnton and Harvey Schmidt Sr. scored in the overtime. Schmidt received a pass from Bev Bell and was home free scoring at 1:43. Sauve took a hard shot and Yarnton scored on the rebound at 6:40. Flin Flon's goaltender Bobby Lalonde did everything to keep the Bombers in the game as he faced 58 shots.

Western Canada Final - Abbott Cup - After a 24 hour train trip, Regina Pats arrived Monday carrying a six game unbeaten road streak into Tuesday night's game.

Tuesday, April 8, Fort William Hurricanes captilized on three Regina Pat penalties in defeating the Pats 3-1 at Fort William's smaller ice surface. In the first period, with Tony Schneider penalized, Don Poile received a pass from Junior Wilson and scored on a slap shot. In the second period Eddie Litzenberger tied the game as he took a blue line plass from Gordon Cown and whipped a shot passed goalie Dave Gatherum at the 4:27 mark. Once again Schneider was off when Poile rifled in his own rebound at 14:43. Less then a minute later Alex Irving received a pass from Don Poile and scored on a screen shot. The third period was scoreless.

Thursday, April 10, Regina Pats were in complete control as they raced to a 3-2 victory over Fort William. Murray Armstrong's chargers were back in the groove and their brilliant skating was to much for the easterners to overcome. The Hurricanes took the lead on Wilson's goal at the mid point as he skated along the boards and moved in front of the net taking a pass from Litzenberger and shooting into the open corner of the net.

Hurricanes once again took the lead in the second period with Gordon Cown skating around the defence and Brian McDonald scoring on Cowan's rebound. In the third period, the winning goal had Warren Dowie circle his own net and skate to centre ice, where he passed to Doug Killoh who fired into the Hurricane's end zone. Dowie raced around the net and set up Bill Papp who drilled a shot into the net as he fell to the ice.

Saturday, April 12, Fort William scored two goals just ove a minute in the their period to down the Regina Pats 2-1. Gordon Cowan scored on Litzenberger's pass-out at seven minutes of the first period. The goal judge didn't see the puck slide under Gatherum's leg but referee Bernie Ost was johnny-on-the-spot to call it.

It wasn't until the third period when the Hurricane's Eddie karchur and Norm Berglund scored two quick goals at 14:16 and 15:33 to take the lead. Even with two Hurricane players in the penalty box in the dying minutes, pats could not get the equalizer. The series now shifted to Regina and the Stadium's larger ice service.

Tuesday, April 15, It took Regina Pats 40-odd minutes before they settled down to serious business as the pumped home three unanswered goal in skating to a 5-2 verdict over Fort William. Pats Doug Killoh scored the only goal of the first period. After Pats Brian McDonald's power play goal early in the second period, Fort William scored two goals by Norm Berglund and Junior Wilson. When the chips were down in the third period, Pats broke a 2-2 tie. Joe Sauve punched home the payoff marker at the 3:33 mark. Gordon Cowan added another within two minutes and then Eddie Litzenberger scored with 18 seconds remaining.

Thursday, April 17, Eddie Litzenberger and Gordon Cowan guided the Pats to a convincing 6-1 victory over Fort William. In the first period pats peppered goalie Dave Gatherum with 20 shots. It was the las shot that Litzenberger was finally able to score. Cowan passed to Eddie who went around the defence and scored on a back hander with 28 seconds remaining in the period.

Midway through the second period, Huricanne's Eddie Kachur scored on a solo effort to tie the game, while Pats were short-handed two players. Later in the period, Regina's Reeve fired a shot that hit a defenceman's leg, Litzenberger picked up the puck and scored the winner.

Saturday, April 19, Litzenberger played his farewell junior hockey game before a large home crowd and the performance could be described as his greates. The lanky 20-year old scored both goals as Pats nugged out Fort William 2-1 to capture the title. One of the greatest goal scorers ever to wear Pat colors, the 195 poung Eddie Litzenberger was razor sharp for the stirring finale.

Fort William Hurricane's Joe Mario scored their only goal at nine minutes of the opening period. Litzenberger scored the tying goal in the second period at the two minute mark. The winner came at eight minutes of the third period when Bernie Grebinsky fired the puck into the corner. Litzenberger picked up the puck, worked his way into postion, and scored over the goalie's shoulder. With the Pats firing 48 shots at Hurricane's netminder, Pats coach Murray Armstrong quoted, "We won't have to face a goaltender like Gatherum again this year."

Memorial Cup Final - Regina Pats left by train Tuesday and arrived Thursday. They went directly to the Toronto Sunnyside Hotel and had a light work out at Guelph's new 4,247 seat Arena. After the practice the team recieved hats from the Guelph team sponsors, the Biltmore Hat Company.

Friday, April 25, Guelph Biltmore Mad Hatter had no trouble downing Regina Pats 8-2 before a sell out crowd of 4,300. Guelph had complete charge of the game and only remarkable goal tending by Pat's Bob Tyler kept the score from running up a bigger score. The Mad Hatters out shot the Pats 46-12 throughout the game. Ron Stewart and Ken Kaufman both had two goals each while Harvey Schmidt Sr. and Litzenberger scored for Regina.

Coach Armstrong admitted that Biltmore was by far the best club his Pats had met all season. "I new they were strong, but nobody told they were that good" he said. During the season Guelph averaged more than 6 goals per game. The remainder of the series was played at Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens.

Sunday, April 27, following their 4-2 victory over Regina, Guelph Biltmores were confident they could wrap it up in four games. In the first period Pats had two disallowed goals that hurt them. Litzenberger on a break-a-way at nine minutes when the official ruled play had been stoped at the Pats blue line and the other at the end of the period when the official ruled the bell had sounded a fraction of a second earlier. As a result Guelph were up 1-0.

Ted Yarnton scored Pats first goal at 7:46 of the second period while Litzenberger scored their second when he skated around two players on the left boards and broke in alone to scored at the 13:00 mark. Biltmore lead 3-2 after the second period.

Wednesday, April 30, Guelph Biltmore, in a manner that left no doubt of their superiority, defeated Pats 8-2. Left wingers; Ron Murphy of the first line and Andy Bathgate of the second line each scored three goals while Chuck Henderson and Len Laufman scored the other two goals for Guelph. Pats netminder Bob Tyler was outstanding, making four sensational saves in the second period, a pair of particularly brilliant saves off Bill Chalmers in the third period. In the three games to date Tyler has survived 144 shots.

Friday, May 2, with an unbeatable combination of strong firing forwards and tough defenseman Mad Hatters crushed Regina Pats 10-2 to take the Memorial Cup final in four straight games. It was Guelph's first Memorial Cup in History. For coach Alf Pike it was his second Memorial Cup, first as a player with the Winnipeg Monarchs in 1937.

The muggy eastern weather and powerful Guelph team were big factors in the series. Regina couldn't match the Guelph's first two lines, they out skated the best in the Pats. The only Guelph weakness was in goal, but Marv Brewer didn't have that much work. Time and time again Pats defense were out of position, leaving Tyler as an sitting duck, while at the other end the defense put up a solid wall in front of Brewer. One again Guelph had 34 shots on Pats' goalie Tyler for a 4 game average of 45 per game. (Photo: Biltmore Captain Andy Bathgate receiving the Memorial Cup)

Pat's coach, Murray Armstrong admitted that Guelph were simply too much for his team. "I had heard they were good" he stated. "But I did not realize that they were that good. They are by far the best club I have seen all season and one of the best clubs I have ever seen."


Front Row: Joe Selinger, Eddie Litzenberger (Captain), Murray Armstrong (Coach and Manager), Dr. _____, Dan Diamond, Sandy Archer (Trainer), Joe Sauve, Bob Tyler Second Row: Harvey Schmidt Sr., Jack Chandler, Doug Killoh, Bob Turner, Warren Dowie, Ted Yarnton, Bernie Grebinsky, Joe Reeves Third Row: Bill nixon, Bev Bell, Willie Papp, Murray Balfour (Stick Boy), Brian McDonald, Gordon Cowan, Tony Schneider