Friday, February 3, 2012

1952-1953 and 1953-1954 Seasons

For the fourth time the Crows Nest Pass team changed their club name from the Coalers to the Miners.
During the league play Pats first three games at the start of the schedule went into overtime. Regina Pat's goalie Bob Tyler and Defenseman Tony Schneider were selected to the WJHL First All-Star Team.

1952-1953 Regina Pats Roster - Goalies: Bob Tyler, Joe Selinger Defense: Bob Turner, Tony Schneider, Murray Balfour, Orville Off, Wayne Klinck Centre: Bev Bell, Bill Hay, Harvey Flaman, Bill Kurtz Right Wing: Jack Chandler, John Hudson, Ken Raymond, Bill Nixon Left Wing: Gordon Cowan (Captain), Earl O'Neill, Harvey Flaman Coach-Manager: Murray Armstrong Trainer: Sandy Archer

Player's Pictures - taken from program supplied by: Dale "Scorecard" Richter

Coach Murray Armstrong,
# 1. Bob Tyler, # 2. Murray Balfour

# 3. Bob Turner, # 5. Orville Off, # 6. Bill Hay

# 8. Bill Kurtz, # 9. Bev Bell, # 10. Jack Chandler

# 11. Bill Nixon, # 12. John Hudson, #13. Gord Cowan

# 14. Frank Wappell, # 15. Ken Raymond, # 16. Harvey Flaman

# 17. Tony Schneider, # 18. Earl O'Neill, # 19. Elmer Schwartz

# 20. Wayne Klinck, # ! Danny Wong

League Semi-Final - Friday, February 20, Edmonton scored three times while Pats were short-handed to post a 3-0 victory at the Edmonton Arena. Oil Kings scored two in the opening period in the lack lustre game. Pats Godon Cowan was off when Norman Ullman battled in a partial screen shot off Bob Cowan's rebound at 8:03. The second period Bob Turner was in the penalty box for hooking, Chuck Holmes fired a hard shot from close in at 17:45. The final goal didn't come until near the end of the game when Bob Cowan scored his second goal, taking a pass from Ullman at the blue line, out skating the two defenseman, and let a knee high shot go.

Monday, February 23, Edmonton scored two goals in the third period to nip the Pats 4-2. Oil King's Jerry Prince scored the first goal at the mid point of the first period. With Bill Bucyk in the penalty box, Pats Orville Off scored on a blazing high screened shot at 9:30 in the second period to tie the game. Bucyk came out of the penalty box and scored on a back-hander three feet out at 10:14. With a two man advantage, Pats Bev Bell scored almost three minutes later.

The crowd were on their feet through out the entire third period. Fans went wild when Oil King's Bob Cowan scored the winner on George Townsend's rebound at 11:42 of the third period. Five minutes later Babe McAvoy broke at the Pats blue line for the clincher.

Wednesday, February 25, in the second period three goals by a tightly-knit defensive until and solid net minding by Bob Tyler saw the Pats blank the Oil Kings 3-0. The victory was Regina's first in the best-of-nine semi-final series. The win ended Edmonton's 22 game unbeaten streak which started December 19.

All the scoring was done in the second period. Penalties lead to Edmonton's downfall. Bill Bucyk was serving time when O'Neill backhanded a goal mouth pass into an open net at 3:58. Two and a half minutes later Babe McAvoy was charged for holding, a minute later Ken Raymond scored on a rebound. With two minutes left in the period Gordon Cowan rushed down the right boards, passed to Bev Bell who was wide open, and scored.

Friday, February 27, the Pats downed the heavily favored Edmonton club 3-2 at the Regina Stadium. Regina Pat's Orville Off scored the first goal at 13:02 of the first period as he backhanded a bouncing screen shot from the blue line that caught the corner of the net. Pats made it 2-0 when Edmonton were two men short. Gordon Cowan went over the blue line and dropped a pass to Ken Raymond who fired a hard high shot passed goalie Al Jacobson.

In the third period Edmonton's Prince scored on a power play goal at 7:47, it was Oil Kings first goal in six periods. Pats third goal had Bob Turner taking a blazing shot that Jackson kicked out. Kurtz who was trailing Turner shot in close but the goalie kicked it out to Schneider at the blue line who whistled a low hard slap shot into the corner of the net at 9:49. Oil Kings Holmes scored at 19:11 then with 32 seconds remaining Edmonton pulled their goalie but could not score.

Edmonton suffered a blow when their scoring start Gerry Prince was rushed to the Regina General Hospital Saturday night with Pneumonia.

Monday, March 2, "We won that one for Prince!" cheered the happy Edmonton Oil Kings after their 4-1 victory at the Regina Stadium. The club that scored the first goal had won every game so far in this series. Edmonton Holmes got loose at the right boards after Melnyk's pass, moved in quickly, and scored at 12 minutes of the first period. Bill Bucyk the scored a backhand over Tyler's shoulder while Pats were shorthanded. Regina Kurtz was all alone faked out goalie Sangster for Pats only goal. Oil Kings then scored two quick goals less than a minutes apart at the midpoint to put it out of reach.

Wednesday, Jerry McInyk became the second Edmonton victim of pneumonia.

Thursday, The Oil Kings stepped out with their finest display of the series to soundly thump the Pats 6-0 at the Edmonton's larger ice service rink. Oil Kings defenseman Bill Bucky scored two quick goals two minutes apart in the first period. The first on a break-a-way down the left boards while Oil Kings were shorthanded. The second when he was in position on the right side of the net. Regina Pats were out of it right from the start. Edmonton lead 3-0 after the first period and 5-0 after the second period.

Saturday, March 7, champions of the Western Junior Hockey League for three straight years, Regina saw their reign come to an end as they were downed 3-2 by the Oil Kings in a thrill-packed encounter, which saw a sell out crowd of 5,500 fans. Edmonton took a 1-0 lead in the first period.

It wasn't until four minutes of the third period Pats tied the score. A costly penalty to Pats Murray Balfour at 12:48 changed the outcome of the game. Rookie Norman Ullman and Bob Cowan tallied during the stretch to break a 1-1 deadlock. Pats then took advantage of a Edmonton penalty and Jack Chandler scored to reduce the score to 3-3. Tyler was pulled with 30 seconds remaining in the game. With the face-off at the Edmonton blue line, Kings won the draw and iced the puck. Pats Gordon Cowan went back and picked up the puck and circled the net for a last chance rush. he went along the left boards and passed to Bev Bell who shot from the left side of the net. Sangster stopped the puck as the horn was about to sound ending the game.

Edmonton lost to the Lethbridge Native Sons in the League Final. Lethbridge then went onto lose to St. Boniface Canadiens in the Abbott Cup Western Canada Final.

1953-1954 Season - The year the League had Crows Nest Pass Miners disbanding from the League. On Monday, November 2, at Calgary, Regina Pats goalie, Joe Selinger recorded the highest shut out on the road, as the Pats won 12-0. Regina Pats goalie Joe Selinger and Defenseman Bob Turner were selected to the WJHL First All-Star Team.

1953-1954 Regina Pats Roster - Goalies: Joe Selinger, Huch Huck Defense: Bob Turner (Captain), Murray Balfour, Orville Off, Wayne Klinck, Butch Miller, Danny Wong, Grant Munro Centre: Bev Bell, Bill Kurtz, Harold Ottenbreit Right Wing: Harvey Flaman, Frank Wappel, John Hudson, Jack Chandler Left Wing: Wayne Klinck, Elmer Schwartz, Bill Nixon, Earl O'Neill Coach-Manager: Murray Armstrong Trainer: Sandy Archer

League Quarter Final - Tuesday, February 16, at the Regina Stadium, Pats and Moose Jaw Canucks battled to a 2-2 overtime tie; even though the Pats held an edge in play. The work of both net minders, Moose Jaw's Johnny Pangrot and Pat's Joe Silinger, were the reason for the overtime. It was the first tie in League action that year.

Moose Jaw's Barrie Ross scored the only goal in the first period from a difficult angle off Pat's goaltender Silinger's should at 13:17. Pat's Frank Wappel tied the game in the second period as he carried the puck into the Moose Jaw zone, he let a hard shot go just inside the blue line and scored on his own rebound. Early in the third period Pats Bill nixon scored after Panagrot made three successive saves to give Regina the lead for the first ime, only to see the Canucks once again tie the contest four minutes later on Fred Saskamoose's sizzling shot. With three seconds remaining in overtime, Moose Jaws' Wally Blaisdell was home free from the blue line. The shot was labelled, but Selinger made the save and the puck was falling to the ice when the final whistle went.

Thursday, February 18, Regina and Moose Jaw fought to another 4-4 overtime at the Moose Jaw Arena. Pats and Canucks now have played 140 minutes of hockey and reduced their series to a best of five affair. Canucks had a 1-0 lead after the first period. In the second period, with Pats Bev Bell in the penalty box, Dave Cordichuk scored off Wally Blaisdells' rebound at 2:26. Three minutes later Bell scored to start Regina on a three goal rally. Elmer Schwartz then scored on a corner pass out, goalie Panagrot missed and directed the puck into the net. Schwartz scored his second goal 33 seconds later on Bev Bell's pass from behind the net.

In the third period, moose Jaw took the lead at 13:24 only to have the Pats score 10 seconds later. Canuck's Barrie Ross tied the game at 17:10 to once again force the game into overtime.

Saturday, February 20, Regina pumped home four goals in the final period to take a 6-0 triumph over coach Ab McDougall's Canucks. Pats Kurtz opened the scoring with a hard 30 foot shot. With only a minuted remaining in the first period Bill Nixon scored on a corner pass from Harold Ottenbreit.

Moose Jaw's goalie Panagrot suffered a bad cut over his eye at the 3:25 mark of the second period during a wild scramble in front of the net. George Sears, who started out as a forward, had to take over in the nets. Regina scored four goals in the third period. Orvill Off started with a long backhand shot from the blue line early in the period. Murray Balfour then scored at 9:13 and three minutes later, Bev Bell scored two in a row; the second coming with two minutes remaining in the game.

Monday, February 22, Moose Jaw once again kept pace with Regina for two periods then faltered as Regina Pats beat Moose Jaw 6-3 in their Arena. John Panagrot was back in the Moose Jaw net and kept the score respectable facing 41 Regina shots. Regina Bill Kurtz stole the puck and passed to Frank Wappel in the clear and scored 52 seconds into the opening period. Moose Jaw then scored two goals to take the lead going into the second period . Moose Jaw then scored two goals to take the lead going into the second period; Saskamoose his first of two goals plus Gordichuk.

Both clubs were tied 3-3 after the middle period before Pats scored three straight goals in the third period. Just after Canucks Barrie Ross missed on a break-a-way, Murray Balfour came right back and scored during a scramble in front of the net at 7:31. Bev Bell won the face-off at the side of the net and backhanded for Pats next goal with Wayne Klink's shot glancing off the goalie's pad for the final goal.

Wednesday, February 24, Moose Jaw, injury-riddle and tired, lost to Regina 5-3 at the Regina Stadium. Moose Jaw Goalie Panagrot was at his peak. Injuries during the game left Canucks with only two defenseman. The only goal in the first period was at the mid point when Pats defenseman Bob Turner scored on a long screen shot just inside the blue line.

Moose Jaw's veteran Fred Saskamoose tied the game early in the second period only to have Bev Bell score on a clean break-a-way near the end of the period. Moose Jaw's Blaisdell tied the game twice in the third. Pats then put the game out of reach on Harvey Flaman's and John Hudson's goals. For Fred Saskamoose it was his last game as a junior. Following the game he left to play with the NHL Chicago Black Hawks.

League Semi-Final - Saturday, February 27, Bev Bell played the role of Tiger as Regina skated to a 4-1 triumph. Before a sell out crowd of 2,000 at Medicine Hat arena Gardens, Bell scored a pair of goals single handley while setting up a third marker. The five place Tabbies were not the same club that were downright mean in polishing off the favored third place Lethbridge Native Sons in straight games in a quarter final series.

Monday, March 1, Bill Hunter's Tigers came out mean and warmed the hearts of a capacity crowd with a 2-1 victory over the Pats in a hard fought game. After Pat's Harvey Flaman opened the scoring in the first period, the Pat crew were unable to solve a tight defense thrown up by the opposing forces over the rest of the game. Flaman scored at 3:45 on a screen shot from a goal mouth scramble. Tieger's tied the game fourteen minutes later, the puck ricocheted passed goalie Joe Selinger off Clark's body. Pats protested the goal, saying that Clark was in the crease and had directed the puck into the net with his body: the goal stood. The winning goal came in the second period at 11:48 when Elmer Pelto scored on a long screened shot as Butch Miller was serving an interference penalty.

Tuesday, March 2, the Tigers skated to a 4-2 decision over Regina in a rousing contest at the Arena Gardens on the downtown south hill. The clash was a bruising crowd pleaser. The game broke wide open in the final minute of play when tempers flared to the boiling point and a wild brawl took place. Pat's Bill Kurtz scored on a break-a-way, a hard drive to the corner of the net at the mid point of the first period.

Tigers scored the next four goals, three in the second period: Bud Syverson at the one minute mark on a dribble shot that went through several players legs; Tigers scored two goals in 43 seconds at the 14 minute mark to take a 3-1 lead into the third period. Pats got into penalty trouble, and Don Clark scored three minutes into the period, then Harold Ottenbreit scored for the Pats. At the end of the game, Regina Pats coach Murray Armstrong said, "We were out-hustled." The team then caught a train at midnight to return to Regina.

Thursday, March 4, Pats scored a 4-1 decission over the Gas City Tigers before a howling crowd at the Regina Stadium. Tigers took a first period lead on Vic Link's pass to Fred Gaber at the four minute mark. In the second period Tigers were given a delay of game penalty at 6:56. pats Frank Wappel scored two goals; first at 6:56 and four minutes later scored again when the goalies was taken out of play and Wappel had an open net, the goal stood. In the third period Murray Balfour scored on another power play when Bud Syverson was serving a hooking penalty. HarveyFlaman scored the clinching goal one and a half minutes later.

Saturday, March 6, it is doubtful if Bev Bell ever enjoyed a greater night. He spearheaded the Pats to a 6-2 victory over Medicine Hat before a large crowd of 5,000 at the Regina Stadium. Bell capped a brilliant performance by scoring two goals, including the winner, and set up his line mates; Harvey Flaman and Wayne Klinck for another pair. Frank Wappel scored the first goal at 4:44 of the first period, the at 6:12 Flaman scored on a break-a-way shot, Orville Off scored after Tiger's Reno Zenner's excellent save. Johnny Cruy scored Tigers next two goals both on scrambles around the Pats net. Pats lead 2-1 after the first period.

Bev Bell scored his first of two goals with only 15 seconds left in the second period. In the third period Pats Klinck scored near the seven minute mark, then Bell with his second goal at 17:11 with Flaman closing out the scoring two minutes later.

Monday, March 8, Regina reached the League final when they blanked Medicine Hat 6-0 at the Regina Stadium. Harold Ottenbriet, who played midget hockey last year, fired his first hat-trick in his junior hockey career, all in the final period. Regina took a 1-0 lead after the first period on Elmer Schwartz's goal. he picked up Kurtz pass, used Frank Wappel as a decoy then let a quick backhand shot go. in the second period Bev Bell scored a power play goal, from the point on a blazzing slapshot on a rebound near the eleven minute mark. Less then two minutes remaining in the period Schwartz scored his second goal, he dug the puck from the backboards and slipped it into the net. Pats were content to protect their lead in the third period as Medicine Hat had 18 shots on Pats goalie.

Murray Armstrong's boys boarded the train Tuesday morning for Edmonton where they opened the best of nine League final. The Edmonton Oil kings had been waiting on the side lines for weeks and lost only three League games, sidelining Calgary in five straight games.

League Final - Wednesday, March 10, the powerful Oil Kings rattled home two quick goals early in the second period after a scoreless opening period. The Kings then rambled to an easy 6-0 win over the Pats at the Edmonton Gardens. The League scoring king, Norm Ullman, and winger Ray Kindsewich each scored two goals. All Edmonton's goals came in rapid outbursts. There was no scoring in the first period.

In the second period, Tookey and Kindsewich scored 55 seconds apart. Early in the third Kindsewich scored his second goal and Ullman 36 seconds later. Then Ullman scored his second goal and 48 seconds later Melnyk scored at the six minute mark. Al Jacobson made 24 saves to record his fourth shutout, the first in playoff competition. Pats Bill Kurtz had two good chances in the first period when he hit the crossbar halfway through the period and on a break-a-way when he rushed his shot.

Friday, March 12, Edmonton rattled in two goals in each of the first and last period to record a 4-1 win over Regina. The Oil Kings had chalked up its 27th straight win, seven in the play-offs. Oil Kings took a 2-0 lead after the first period on Strate's blue line shot that hit Pats defenseman Butch Miller's stick and went into the net at 9:44. Ullman scored off Bob Cowan's rebound shot near the end of the period.

Bill Kurtz, Pats top point getter during the schedule, accounted for Regina's lone goal on a screen shot late in the second period. In the third period after Bob Turner and Harold Ottenbreit nearly scored, McNeill cut behind Pats defense at centrem received Melynk's drop pass and went in home free. With Pats pressing, Oil Kings broke on a 3 on 1 rush, Ullman scored his second goal on Jack Moore's pass.

Monday, March 15, the Pats fell apart at the seams to take their wort shellacking of the season. The fans saw their Oil Kings make the most of their opportunities to bounce the Pats 10-0 as they outplayed them in every department. Speedy Bill McNeill, who broke up the second game in the series wit a nice timely goal, led the Kings with three goals. Oil Kings lead 2-0 after the first period when Jack Moore scored at 11:20 on his own rebound. Bob Cowan then scored near the end of the period on a 30 foot partially screen shot. It was all over in the second period as the Oil Kings pumped in five more goals with McNeill starting with two goals near the three minute mark. The teams then boarded the train for Regina immediatley after the game.

Tuesday, Edmonton, hung on to edge the Pats 6-5. The teams were both dead-tired after a strenuous 17-hour train trip, and played it rough. Pats scored the first goal on a penalty shot when Harvey Flaman was pulled down frm behind by Oil Kings Bob Cowan on a break-a-way. Bev Bell took the penalty shot and scored when he faked a shot and pulled Jacobsen out of positon at the 10:58 mark. Oil Kings then scored two quick goals near the fifteen minute mark and lead 2-1 going into the second period. Edmonton then upped the score to 5-1 before Pats Harold Ottenbriet and Frank Wappel scored two goals within 20 seconds at the eighteen minute mark to close out the second period down 5-3. Oil kings scored then Pats Flaman and Bev Bell scored near the end of the game.

Wednesday, the powerful Edmonton Oil Kings, with eight rookies on the club, finally won their first WJHL League Championship at the Regina Stadium, posting a 4-2 victory over the Pats to sweep the best of nine series, five straight. Oil kings Jerry Melnyk figuree in all of Edmonton's goals, scoring twice and setting up two others.

Pats took the lead after the first period when Murray Balfour scored when he deflected Orville Off's bouncing shot. Oil Kings Moore tied the game at 11:35 in the second period when he rapped in a goal mouth pass. pats Frank Wappel put Pats ahead again on a soft goal as he scored outside Edmonton's blue line at 14:08. Jerry Melnyk then scored two minutes later to close out the second period on a power play goal with John Hudson in the penalty box for cross checking. Poor clearing by the Pats resulted in Melnyk's second goal at 11:05 of the third period. Holmes scored the insurance goal at 13:58. In the last minute of the period that same Homes went off for tripping. Selinger was pulled and Pats with a two man advantage, were not able to score.

Oil Kings went on to play in the Memorial Cup against the St. Catherines Tee Pees. St. Catherines won the series in five games.


Front Row: Sandy Archer (Trainer), Danny Wong, Frank Wappel, Orville Off, Joe Selinger, Bev Bell, Wayne Klinck, jack Chandler, Murray Armstrong (Coach) Back Row: John Hudson, Earl O'Neill, Bill Kirtz, Bill Nixon, Bob Turner (Captain), Ken More, Harold Ottenbreit, Elmer Schwartz, Butch Miller, Harvey Flaman, Murray Balfour (Photo: Bev Bell Collection)