Friday, February 3, 2012

In the 1923-1924 season - the Regina Patricia shortened their name to the Regina Pats.

Pats and Moose Jaw Canucks played six games in an Inter-City League, with Regina Pats winning 4 games and losing 2. The first ever overtime game was played in the Inter-City League Schedule on Friday, January 4, 1924, the Regina Pats won 9-6. (Photo: Saskatchewan Archives - File: RB-8212)

1923-1924 Regina Pats Roster - Goalie: Jack "The Eagle Eye" Cunning Defense: Jack Gilhooly (Captain), John Gottselig, Cliff Schwindt Centre: Syl Acaster Left Wing: Frank Ingram, Bert Dowie Right Wing: Ken Doraty, Eric "Cowboy" Pettinger, Joe Fowler Position Not Known: Cassel Coach: Al Ritchie Manager: Claude T. Scannell

South Saskatchewan Play-Offs - Regina Pats swamped the Broadview Juniors 15-0 at the Indian Head rink. The easterners were utterly lost with the city squad keeping almost continual possession of the puck scoring almost at will.

Regina centre Syl Acaster, led the point-getters with 7 goals and 2 assists. Broadview defaulted the second game slated for Regina.

Saskatchewan Final - Regina Pats defeated the hometown Outlook Juniors 5-2. Despite slow ice and a small rink, the contenders for the provincial junior honours put up a creditable display before a crowd of better than 700 fans. The first period ended 1-1. The Regina Pats scored 2 goals in the second and third periods. The Outlook Juniors decided they would not return to the capital city for the scheduled return game.

Western Canada Semi-Finals - On Tuesday, March 18, Regina Pats administered a rude jolt to the aspirations of the Tammy Tigers, who were the Manitoba Champions, with a 2-0 victory in Winnipeg. Regina used a three-man defence and a sensational goaltender turned in one of the best performances seen at the Amphitheatre in a long time.

The teams battled for two whole periods and the greater part of the third period before breaking a scoreless deadlock. With a little more than five minutes left, Syl Acaster scored a shorthanded goal, a pass from right winger Eric Pettinger. Three minutes later, Ken Doraty stick handled his way through from centre ice, got in close and beat Tigers goalie Bert White.

Thursday, the Pats overwhelmed the Tammy Tigers 7-2. The three man style defence was a big factor in the triumph. Jack Cunning played brilliantly as goalie for the westerners and was largely responsible for holding the local lads in check as he stopped 48 shots in the first game and 36 shots in the second game.

Regina's Johnny Gottselig scored a hat trick, two on the soft side, both outside the blue line, while Syl Acaster and Eric Pettinger both had 2 goals each. Winnipeg's goals came from forward Harvey Stephenson, and defenseman Dick Davis.

Western Final - Abbott Cup - Saturday, March 22, defensive tactics defeated Calgary Canadians 4-2 at the Winnipeg Shea Amphitheatre.

Two Pat goals were of the fluke variety, both on long shots from outside the blue line. Regina Pat's Ken Doraty scored the first goal, in the first period, over the goaltender's shoulder. The second goal was scored by Johnny Gottselig, 30 seconds into the third period from a centre face-off, letting a sizzling drive go that went off

Calgary's defenseman Louck's leg.

On Monday, Stewart Adams scored at 6:25 of overtime to give Calgary a 5-2 win and a 7-6 series victory over the Regina Pats. The Calgary club, fighting with their backs to the wall, lead 3-0 after the second period to take the lead in the series. In the third period Syl Acaster scored at the 2:30 mark and then Johnny Gottselig at the 15 minute mark to take the lead.

With only 40 seconds remaining in the game, Lewis faked a shot at the blue line and went in on the Pats goalie. Then he drove a bullet shot and scored on his own rebound into the corner of the net to force overtime.

Regina Pats protested the game. The protest was on the first goal scored by Calgary in the opening period at the 6:20 mark. Herb Lewis shoved a pass from behind the Pats net to Ripley. Just as Ripley grabbed the puck Referee, Bill Nobel, rang his bell for an offside. Ripley lifted the puck from the blue line and scored. Nobel allowed the goal to stand. The Pats lost the protest.

The victory put the Calgary Canadians into the Memorial Cup. They lost to Owen Sound Greyhounds 7-5 in the two-goal series.

The four finalists for the 1924 Memorial Cup - Regina Pats, Winnipeg Tammy Tigers, Owen Sound Grey and Calgary Canadians (Photo: Archives of Manitoba - Foote 2440-N3061)