Friday, February 3, 2012

In 1930-31 season it was an all Regina League, the Pats, Canadians and Trojans. Pats had little trouble winning all four games. Pats had to rely on their 12 exhibition games for strong competition. Pats finished with 4 wins, 13 goals for, 3 against; Canadians 2 wins and 2 loses, 3 goals for and 8 against; Trojans 0 wins and 4 loses, 2 goals for, 7 goals against.

1930-1931 Regina Pats Roster - Goalie: Ken Campbell (Captain) Defense: Alex "Curley" Kerr, Hartzel "Moose" Stinson, Andy "Red" Currie, Don Deacon Centre: Don Deacon, Reg "Red" Strong, Art Dowie Right Wing: Lorne "Bud" Stephens, Percy Moore, Steve Abulet Left Wing: Ralph Redding, Al Lockhart, Art Dowie Coach-Manager: Al Ritchie Trainer: Bob Bentley President: Pete Egan First Vice-President: Bill Lee Second Vice-President: Bill Kimes Third Vice-President: Nick Papas Secretary: Jack Hunter Treasurer: Mrs. M.A. Graham Executive Members: Nick Pappas, Bert Acaster, Gratton McCarthy, Howard Pink, J. Currie, Andy Rusconi, J.J. Renwick, Al Gillespie Doctor: Harvey L. Jackes

Southern Final - On Tuesday, February 24, with their fast skating, the Regina Pats took advantage of every break that came their way as they downed Moose Jaw Cubs 5-0 at the Moose Jaw Stadium. Moose Jaw was able to keep up with Regina, especially in the second period when they pressed the Pats defense to the limit, but were not able to capitalize on scoring.

Ralph Redding scored 2 goals for the Pats. Alex Kerr added Pats fourth goal late in the third period after skating the length of the ice. Lorne Stephens and Reg Strong scored the other Regina Pat goals.

Thursday, Regina Pats handed Moose Jaw Cubs their second straight shutout 3-0 at the Regina Stadium. Moose Jaw carried the play right from the start of the game and had the Pats hemmed in for fifteen minutes in their own end before tiring in exhaustion. The first period was scoreless.

In the second period, Percy Moore received a pass from Reg Strong while battling in a scrimmage, then completely out-guessed the Cubs goalie Davis with a high corner shot at the seven minute mark. Al Lockhart followed five minutes later when he broke from his blue line and circled the Cubs defense and beat the goalie. The final goal was scored by defenseman Alex Kerr with less than a minute in regulation time.

Provincial Final - On Tuesday, March 3, one of the smartest plays of the night was executed by young Art Dowie ending in the only goal scored. It gave the Regina Pats a hard earned 1-0 victory over the Saskatoon Wesleys. A crowd of rabid fans, the largest crowd to watch a hockey game that season in Saskatoon, packed the rink to capacity.

Playing on a ice surface which had just been newly planned, the teams turned in a burst of speed at the start of the game. As the game grew older, the surface was turned into a sugary mess and became soggy before the final bell. The game winning goal came midway through the second period and from then on the Pats guarded their lead to the end.

Thursday, played at the Regina Stadium the game ended in a scoreless tie. It was a gruelling battle. Throughout the three periods the teams were on even terms, with the Wesleys having
the slightest edge of play. Both net minders, Ken Campbell and Frank Evans of Saskatoon were spectacular as they blocked everything that came their way.

Western Semi-Final - Saturday, March 14, claiming Ken Campbell's pads to be eleven inches, one inch wider than the regulation, Calgary Coach Eddied Poulin refused to send his team on the ice until the pads had been reduced. They made Campbell whittle an inch off each of his goal pads before the start of the game. The starting face-off was delayed half an hour. It didn't make any difference as he turned aside everything that the Calgary Canadians directed his way. Campbell racked up his fifth consecutive shutout. The Pats turned back the Alberta champions 4-0. "Curly" Kerr and Regina Strong each scored twice.

On Monday, Regina Pats Ken Campbell got his sixth consecutive shutout as his club edged Calgary 1-0 in a rough game. It was late in the final period before Pats finally registered an overdue goal. Left winger Ralph Redding scored at the 17:10 mark. Campbell once again was outstanding. He completed two more Western Canada records for a junior goaltender.

- A year ago Campbell shutout Calgary and Winnipeg in succession.
- Monday, he noticed his 6 successive shutouts in the current play-offs.

At the same time, the curly-headed goalie achieved and even more remarkable achievement, he blanked Poulin's club in both games for the second year in a row.

Western Final - Abbott Cup - Wednesday, March 18, for the second time in a row, Ralph Redding was the hero as he notched the lone goal of the game against the local Elmwood Millionaires. Half way through the second period, Ralph skated half the length of the ice and close in, scored on a whistling shot.

Elmwood carried most of the play in the early part of the game, carrying attacks deep into Regina's zone time-after-time only to be fooled by Pats netminder Ken Campbell. Campbell was the player who "hogged" much of the limelight. no matter how hard Elmwood tried, the Regina netminder smothered and kicked out every drive that was sent his way by the frantic Millioniares.

Pats were hard pressed in the final few minutes of the game and were hemmed in behind their blue line. They protected their lead by shooting the puck up the ice every chance they had.

On Friday, the fighting Elmwood Millionaires humbled Regina's widely famed Pats by defeating them 4-2 in a dramatic twenty minute overtime struggle, taking the series 4-3. The game was scoreless going into the third period. Early in the period, Art Dowie scored only to have Bill Mackenzie score four minutes later when he rapped a drive toward the Regina net and scored. Less than two minutes before the period ended, George Brown rapped in Bert Duncanson's pass to give the Millionaires a 2-1 lead and tie the round series. Elmwood went on the win the Memorial Cup, defeating Ottawa Primroses.