Friday, February 3, 2012

REGINA PATS - 1955-56


In an unbalanced schedule Regina Pats and Edmonton Oil Kings played 36 games. Both Lethbridge Native Sons and Medicine Hat Tiger's games counted one point as they played 48 games. Moose Jaw Canucks withdrew from the League during the off-season. The WJHL was now down to only four teams.

For the first time, Regina Pats went across the Canadian boarder into
the United States playing exhibition games against college and university teams.

It was the first time the Pats had two goalies from the United States; Ray Tapani, Marquette, Michigian, and Hank Metcalf, South St. Paul, Minneapolis.

Moose Jaw Canucks, Fred "Chief Running Deer" Saskamoose, played
eleven games with the Chicago Black Hawks. It seemed fitting that the
first Treaty Indian to play in the NHL was wearing a jersey with a huge
Indian head on it. (Photo: "Chief" Saskamoose)

1955-1956 Regina Pats Roster - Goalies: Hank Metcalf,
Ray Tapani, Gerry Deis, Bill Sides Defense: Grant Munro, John Palenstein, Martin Howe, Wayne Klinck Centre: Harold Ottenbreit (Captain), Bryan Whittal, Murray Massier, Gord "Red" Berenson Right Wing: Con Collie, Billy Hicke, Murray MacDonald, Jerome Walker, Murray Balfour Left Wing: Joe Lunghamer, Ron Johnson, Ray Hobbs, Bill LeCaine Coach-Manager: Murray Armstrong Assistant Coach: Del Wilson Trainer: Sandy Archer

Player's Pictures: Taken from the Program - supplied by: Dale "Scorecard" Richter

Murray Armstrong (Coach), # 1. Hank Metcalf (No Photo), # 1. Ray Tapani, # 1. Bill Sides
# 2. Murray Balfour, # 3. Grant Munro, # 4. Wayne Klinck
# 5. John Palenstein, # 6. Martin Howe, # 8. Joe Lunghamer
# 9. Harold Ottenbreit, # 10. Con Collie, # 11. Jerome Walker
12. Murray Massier, # 13. Ronald Johnson (No Photo), # 14. Murray MacDonald, # 17, Billy Hicke
# 18. Raymond Hobbs, # 19. Bryan Whittal

League Semi-Final - Wednesday, February 22, Regina Pats unveiled one of their top performances of the season thumping Medicine Hat Tigers 10-1. The veterans sparked the Pats scoring. Murray Balfour tallied three goals and captain Harold Ottenbreit clicked for a pair that started Pats' fireworks.

Regina Pats, defending Western Canadian Champions, scored the only goal in the first period by right-winger Con Collie at the 6:24 mark. Pats then raised the margin to 5-0 after the second period after the Tigers defense collapsed. Harold Ottenbreit scored two goals (his second short-handed) while Murray Balfour was in the penalty box at the 16:48 mark. Balfour then scored two at 18:42 and 19:10. Medicine Hat's only goal came while Pats were two men short, when Jimmy Brown scored at 16:21 of the third period.

Friday, February 24, Medicine Hat Tigers tied the series by defeating Regina Pats 5-3 at the Regina Stadium. Defenseman Bob Burton had a pair of goals for the Tigers. His first was when Pats' Murray Messier tried to clear the puck during a scramble, but pushed the puck under Pat's goalie Metcalf. Regina Pats could not score on Tiger's goalie Ed Babiuk.

Saturday, February 25, Regina Pats had 6 scoring chances during the game, and scored on 5, even though they were out shot 29 to 13. They downed Medicine Hat Tigers 5-3 at Medicine Hat's Arena. The Tigers had many chances; Centre Jimmy Brown missed on 3 great opportunities in the first period, while Lorne Brooks was robbed twice, Captain Alf Cadman hit the goal post, and Fred Gardner missed and open net.

The only goal in the opening period was Regina Pats Billy Hicke scoring at 12:45. Hicke scored his second goal at 2:02 in the second period. Tigers Al Cadman then scored 2 goals in the space of 2 minutes, 11:36 and 12:29, followed by Pats Con Collie scoring at the 15:04 mark. Regina Pats led 3-2 after the second period. Medicine Hat's Fred Gardner scored early in the third period at 1:20. Pats Murray Balfour scored the winning goal at the 15:47 mark and Murray MacDonald got the insurance goal at 16:16.

Monday, February 25, Regina Pats beat the home town Medicine Hat Tigers 5-3. Rookie Marty Howe had his best night as a junior, scoring 2 goals. The Pats scored 3 goals by the 13 minute mark of the first period; Marty Howe at the 3:37 mark, Joe Palenstein at 10:21, and Billy Hicke at 13:05. Medicine Hat then scored 2 goals; Al Cadman at 16:10, then Fred Gardner at 19:14. The only goal in the second period was scored by Regina Pats Howe his second at 9:05.

Medicine Hat's Lorne Brooks scored on a solo rush at the five minute mark of the third period. Tiger's coach Kaleta pulled goalie Ed Babiuk with 2 minutes and 15 seconds remaining in the game. Jerry Walker, the Balcarres rookie, scored the insurance goal into an empty net. After the game, Regina Pat Coach, Murray Armstrong said, "This was the big game".

Wednesday, February 29, Regina Pats sidelined Medicine Hat for a third straight year at Tigerville's Arena Gardens as they beat the Tigers 5-1. Regina took a 2-0 lead on Bryan Whittal and Murray Balfour's goals in the first period. Tiger's Lorne Brooke made it 2-1 at 17:25 of the second period on a wild scramble around Regina's net, Pats Wayne Klinck had just stepped onto the ice after serving a penalty. Regina Pat's Murray Massier scored two minutes later and Pats had a 3-1 lead after the second period. Billy Hicke and Joe Lunghamer scored a minute apart at the 12:47 mark in the third period.

Through the series Pats took advantage of the Tiger penalties. Regina had 35 penalties to 25 by Medicine Hat. Tiger's were able to score only three of their 13 goals in the series while on the power play.

Monday, March 5, Lethbridge scored two goals in 21 seconds at the mid point of the second period to come from behind and edge Edmonton Oil Kings 3-2 and take the series in six games.

League Final - Wednesday, March 7, after a weeks delay, Regina Pats turned back the Lethbridge Native Sons 8-7 in overtime. Bill Hicke was the hero, scoring the winner at 6:46 of the overtime. The most consistent of all Pats was Murray Massier, enjoying the biggest night of his junior hockey career as he figured in four goals. he scored twice and set up line mate Murray MacDonald for another two. Each club exchanged goals throughout the game. Lethbridge lead 3-2 after the first period and both clubs were tied 5-5 after the middle period.

With Regina Pat's Murray Balfour in the penalty box at the ten minute mark, lethbridge's Jimmy Powers tied the game, and forty seconds later, Bill Voss scored his second goal to give the Sons the lead before Murray Balfour scored. In overtime, from a Regina break at the red line, defenseman Marty Howe blocked a Sons' pass and passed to Bryan Whittal. With one Lethbridge player back he passed to Billy Hicke who had a clear break in on goalie George Wood.

Friday, March 9, Regina Pat's rookie centre Bryan Whittal chose an opportune moment to record his first hat-trick in his junior ranks. His three goals, one each period, sparked the pats to a 6-3 victory over Bill Ramsdens's Lethbridge Native Sons before a seasons top turnout of 3,472 at the Regina Stadium. It was Regina's checking that proved the difference. Sons out shot Pats in the first two periods but lacked the finishing touch. Regina took a 3-0 lead in the first period, scoring in the span of three minutes on the man advantage while Lethbridge were serving penalties. Regina had 3-1 and 5-2 period scores. Sons' Drobot was their top scorer with 2 goals.

Regina Pats left Sunday in a three car convoy for Lethbridge for the remaining series.

Monday, March 12, Regina took advantage of Lethbridge to chalk up and 8-4 victory. Native Sons vaulted into a 2-0 lead before the game was eight minutes old, then quit as Pats scored three goals; Lunghamer at the 14 minute mark, then Con Collie on a break-a-way with two minutes left and Billy Hicke 58 seconds later to give Regina a 3-2 lead after the first period. Billy Hicke, Bev Bell, Harvey Flaman, Frank Wappel - Photo: Bev Bell Collection

Pat's Murray Massier, with two quick goals, 37 seconds apart in the second period, helped Pats as they took a 6-4 lead into the third period.

Harold Ottenbreit scored his second goal of the game, (which was Pats second break-a-way goal) near the mid point of the third period. Jerry Walker scored into an empty net near the closing of the game.

Tuesday, March 13, Lethbridge did a complete turn around and stayed in the running by edging the Regina Pats 3-2. brilliant net minding by George Wood, backed by the defensemen's best showing of the year, sparked the native Sons. Pats scored the first two goals with only five minutes gone in the game.

Thursday, March 15, Regina Pats, full of fight and determination, came from behind four times to defeat Lethbridge 6-5 in overtime before 2,400 fans. They retained the League Championship for the second straight year. Lethbridge's scoring came in the space of five minutes early in the second period. high scoring Bill Voss scored Kings first goal in the first minute of the second period. Speedy Norm Usselman scored the tying and winning goals. There was not scoring in the third period.

Joe Lunghammer was Regina's hero. The rookie had been a series standout and came through with two timely goals. his first at 17:54 of the third period, that sent the spine tingling affair into overtime. His second goal was the sinner at 9:18 of the overtime.

There was no scoring until the second period. Early in the second, Lethbridge took the lead only to have Regina come right back one minute later. Four goals in five and a half minutes rounded out the period, the first two by Lethbridge, followed by the Pats With the clubs tied 4-4 Native Son's Erickson scored 45 seconds into overtime when his bouncing shot glanced off Regina's defenseman Grant Munro. Two minutes later, Pats' Bryan Whittal tied the game with the winner coming from a wild scramble.

Prior to the Western Semi Final series Flin Flon's coach Bob Kirk said, "I've got the best goalie Flin Flon has ever had."

Western Semi-Final - Monday, March 19, Flin Flon Bombers and outstanding goalie Frank Kubica, surprised the Regina Pats by winning 3-2 at the Regina Stadium. Kubica was outstanding as he blocked 41 shots. Out shot 16-3 in the first period, Bomber's George Konik scored the lone goal at 19:43 on a soft goal, scoring between Hank Metcalf's legs. In the second period, Whittal scored both Regina Pats goals, assisted by Billy Hicke. Flin Flon's Harvey Fleming tied the game 2-2 when Bob Kortie's high shot deflected off Fleming's chest near the end of the period. It was the first time Flin Flon had beaten the Western Junior League Champions in the Abbott Cup Semi-Final.

Wednesday, March 21, defenseman Murray Balfour's four goal display helped the Regina Pats make their rebound quite convincing by thumping the Flin Flon Bombers 9-3 before 4,564 onlookers. Balfour's first goal came when he picked up a centre pass from Messier and was home free on a break-a-way at 3:52 of the first period. Bombers Ron Hutchinson tied the game four minutes later on a soft goal from behind the net. Pats broke the tie at 14 minutes of the first period while Flin Flon was shorthanded two men, scoring THREE GOALS IN 36 SECONDS.

Balfour scored his second and third goals, 23 seconds apart, with Con Collie scoring the third goal. Then it was Bombers turn scoring with the Pats two men short handed at 18:22 when George Konik scored on a screen slap shot. Regina Pats Con Collie scored his second goal with five minutes left, the only goal in the second period. Balfour scored his fourth goal in the first minute of play in the last period, his second break-a-way goal!

Thursday, March 22, Regina Pats spotted Flin Flon Bomber a 2-0 first period lead, then came back to grab a hard earned 5-3 decision at the Regina Stadium before 2,155 fans. Con Collie sparked the Pats with his second two goal performance in as many nights. It was Pats 3-2 after the second period. Frank Kubica, the ex-Saskatoon junior who joined Flin Flon that year, made 40 saves, including 19 in the wide open second period. Regina Pats Hank Metcalf made only 24 saves, turning in his strongest game of the series.

Both teams took the same train Friday, to Flin Flon for the remaining game of the series.

Saturday, March 24, Regina by virtue of their 5-4 come from behind triumph, lead the series 3-1. Playing before a sellout crowd at the north Manitoba Mining city. Pats came from behind a two goal deficit twice. Goals by Willey Lyle at the one minute mark and Ted Hampson at 9:31 gave Flin Flon a 2-0 lead. Regina Pats Harold Ottenbreit at the fourteen mark and Con Collie at 17:04 tied the game after the first period. Flin Flon's Hampson scored two quick goals a minute apart at 8:30 of the second period before Regina Pats Murray Massier scored a soft backhanded goal that never left the ice at 18:35. With Flin Flon only using two lines, they started to tire in the third period as Pats Con Collie scored his second goal at 10:47 then followed by Murray Balfour at 14:31.

Monday, March 26, Walt Peacoch was a one-man show in helping Flin Flon down Regina Pats 10-5 as he fired six goals and assisted on three others for a nine point outing. In the first period Regina Pats Con Collie opened the scoring at 6:37, Peacosh his first goal at 14:32, followed by Pats Murray Balfour scoring at the seventeen minute mark to give Regina a 2-1 lead after the first period.

Flin Flon then turned the game around in the second period when Hutchinson scored from behind the net as the puck deflected off Pats' Wayne Klinck into the net in the first minute of the second period. Forty seconds later Peacosh scored his second goal. It was Flin Flon 5-3 after the second period. In the third period Lyle Willey scored the first two goals, then Pats Lunghamer scored at the midway point, followed by Peacosh with three goals in three minutes. Pats Con Collie scored his second goal between Peacosh's second and third goal of the period. The shots on goal told the tale as the Bombers hammered 53 drives at Hank Metcalf in the Pat net while Pats managed 24 on Frank Kubica. The following day Peacosh was the talk of the town.

Wednesday, March 28, Bobby Kirk's inspired Bombers, deadlocked the series, clipping Regina Pats 5-2. A sell out crowd squeezed into every available space at Flin Flon's Main Arena. Bombers spotted Pats a 1-0 first period lead on Bryan Whittal goal at 11:48, a soft backhander from a difficult angle. In the second period Gord Rehdal scored on a third rebound at 5:13. With Regina's Wayne Klinck draped around Peacosh, he scored from a short range seven minutes later.

Regina Pats Billy Hicke tied the game at 2-2 on a pretty pass from Whittal at 2:28 of the third period. With Jerome Walker in the penalty box, Flin Flon scored two quick goals by Ted Hampson and Peacosh at 14:37. Regina Pats coach Murray Armstrong pulled Hank Metcalfe with two minutes to go, only to have Bombers Bob Kortie score into an empty net at 19:12.

Thursday, March 29, trailing 4-1 early in the second period, Regina Pats roared back to pump home 8 straight goals and defeat Flin Flon 9-6 to win the series in the Bomber own rink. The turning point was when Murray Balfour, a newly appointed forward, caught Bombers Gordon Rehdahl with his head down, and gave his a clean body check on his blind side. Murray Balfour then scored minutes later at 13:50 followed by Harold Ottenbreit with three minutes left in the second period.

In the third period Regina scored 5 more goals, before Flin Flon's Peacosh scored his second goal at 14:36 followed by Kyle Wiley with 2 minutes remaining in the game.

The fine comeback provided Pats with its fifth Abbott Cup final in seven years. Pats were the first in history to win the Abbott Cup back to back. One could say that it was a skate sharpener who won the latest series for Regina. Due to the injuries, coach Murray Armstrong went with only eleven players.

Mike Curlic decided to join the Pats club earlier that week. Mike discovered Murray Balfour had been playing with a broken blade on his skate which caused Balfour plenty of trouble Wednesday.

Leader Post quoted: "Thursday afternoon Curlic and Balfour headed to the arena. Curlic worked on the skates until Balfour was finally satisfied. It payed off when the burly defenseman turned forward and scored the first three of his four goals." The same night, a lop-sided 9-1 win over St. Boniface Canadiens moved the Port Arthur North Stars into the Western final against Regina Pats.

On Sunday, Coach Del Wilson's and Manager Mike Kartusch's Pats won the Duluth's Fourth Annual Internationald Juvenile Tournament defeating the host All-Stars 3-2. Pats were champions in 1954 and lost to the Marquette Michigan Warrior that year. Terry Henning scored the winning goal with 2 minutes and 5 seconds remaining in the game. The whole team then went to Port Arthur and took in the Monday game, with Bill LeCaine taking the place of injured Jerry Walker.

Canadian Western Final - Monday, April 2, Port Arthur's Bob Darie scored four goals to spark the North Stars to an 8-4 victory over the Regina Pats at Port Arthur. Billy Hicke potted a pair of goals for the losing Regina Pats.

Port Arthur's Bob Daris scored the only goal of the first period, twenty seconds into the period. John Soychak made it 2-0 six minutes into the second period, before Regina Pats Billy hicke scored his first goal at 11:54 followed by Murray MacDonald four minutes later as he skated through the entire North Star team to score. With a minute left in the period, Port Arthur Bud Whitney scored to give the easterners a 3-2 lead going into the third period. The North Stars outscored the Pats 5-2 in a wild and open period.

Wednesday, April 4, Port Arthur, cashing in early and then getting a superb net minding display from Bruce Gamble, downed Regina Pats 4-1. It was a rugged and bruising contest. Pat Ginnel on a 20 on 1 break used Dan Moon as a decoy, scoring at 3:49. John Kowalchuk made it 2-0 for the North Stars as he batted in a loose puck during a goalmouth scramble. In the second period period North Stars Bob Ferguson scored a soft goal behind the net at 6:35 followed by Regina Pats Wayne Klinck two minutes later when Port Arthur did some sloppy clearing, scoring on a hard shot. The only goal in the last period was Luke Bouchard's goal on Moon's rebound one minuted into the period.

The soft ice slowed the fast skating Pats in both games at the Lakehead. An hour after the game the Pats boarded a train for Regina where the remaining series was played.

Saturday, April 7, Regina Pats defeated Port Arthur 9-4 at the Regina Stadium. A team brawl in the first period took 45 minutes to control. The free-for-all had many players wielding sticks like hatchets just before the final siren. Although disquested, the majority of the fans who attend the game, (4,672) stuck it out to the end. Regina Pats, although ahead throughout, broke away by rapping in 5 goals in the third period. Billy Hicke and Bryan Whittal turned in their best performances in over two weeks. Hcke with a goal and four assists, while Whittal socred twice and set up three others. Regina lead 2-0 after the first period and 4-3 after the second period.

Monday, April 9, Bryan Whittal and Billy hicke lead the firing parade as Pats clipped Port Arthur North Stars 7-2 to deadlock the series. Another fine turnout, (4,484) took in the contest. Regina Pats looked like winners all the way. The led 4-1 after the first period and 7-2 after the second. Port Arthur goalie Gamble was the main factor in producing a scoreless third period. Gamble had to stop 31 Pat drives. Regina Pats Billy Hickehad one goal and had four assists, while Bryan Whittal scored one goal and three assists.

Wednesday, April 11, Port Arthur took a 3-0 lead and received superb netminding from Bruce Gamble as they defeated the Pats 4-2. Once again Gamble's performance was sensational as Pats outplayed and outshot the Stars over most of the game. North Stars took a 2-0 lead in the first period. Regina Pats Grant Munro, skating backwards toward Pats goal, stopped a shot in the stomach. The puck dropped in front of the net and Bob Darcis slapped the puck into the net at the one minute mark. John Kowalchuk socred at the halfway mark on Pats poor clearing. In the second period John Harpell scored at 2:08. Regina Pats, Bryan Whittal scored on a scramble in fron to the net at 13:00 and Billy Hicke scored on a break-a-way from his own zone with three seconds left in the period. It was north Stars 3-2 going into the last period, Bob Whitney scored on Pats sloppy clearing at the three minute mark.

Friday, April 13, Regina Pats won the big one. The Queen City lads uncorked a solid team effort in defeating Jack "Baldy" James North Stars 6-3 and deadlocked the series. Regina, Murray Balfour, the "Take-charge-guy", led the parade with two goals, including his second into an empty net in the last minute of play. The brillian work of goalie Gamble once again, kept the Stars in contention until the Pats broks loose for three unanswered goals in the third period. He was called upon for the second night in a row to make 40 saves.

Saturday, April 14, Coming from behind like true champions, Regina Pats defeated Port Arthur 5-4 in overtime. They won the Abbott Cup a total of eleven times and became the first club to win it two years in succession. Pats had to go beyond the limit in order to dispose Port Arthur. Regina Pats Murray Massier, a rookie centre, scored the game winner in overtime. Murray Balfour scored a pair of goals, his third and fourth. He then set up Massier at 4:52 for the big one while Port Arthur's Les Hunt was serving a holding penalty in overtime.

The victory was number 299 for coach Murray Armstrong, counting all the regular and play-off games since he took over the Pats from Moose Stinson back in the 1947-48 season. His record included 173 losses and 15 ties.

Coach Murray Armstrong's three pickups for the Memorial Cup were centre Len Lunde from Edmonton Oil Kings. Right Wing Johnny "Kayo" Kowalchuk, Fort William Canadiens, and centre, Stewart McNeill, Port Arthur North Stars. Armstrong used the puck-ups as one line.

Regina Pats left Thursday morning by CPR train. After a long train ride they arrived in Toronto Saturday morning. Armstrong and the Pats, along with 10,000 others, took in Sunday's game at Maple Leaf Gardens. The saw Montreal defeat Toronto Marlboros 3-2 to force a seventh game in Montreal, Monday night. Habs forced an eighth game in Toronto by winning 4-1. On Wednesday, Toronto defeated the Junior Canadiens 2-0, before 12,339 ans to take the lengthy series 4-3 with one game tied. After waiting almost a week, Pats finally knew who their opponents would be.

Memorial Cup Finalists - Friday, April 27, Regina Pats and Toronto marlboros battled to a 4-4 tie after a ten minute overtime, held at the Maple Leaf Gardens before only 3,855 spectatures. Regina came from behind twice after a scoreless opening period to take a 3-2 edge after two periods. Marlboros Wally Boyer scored 4:29 when Pats goalie went down to soon. Regina's Wayne Klinck then scored on a screen shot two minutes later. With Pats Murray Balfour in the penalty box, Ken Girard scored from a face-off at 9:10. Regina Pats then scored two goals: Kowalchuk on a 3-way pass at 12:40, then Lunghamer at 18:22 to give Regina a 3-2 lead after the second period.

Pats Bryan Whittal made it 4-2 at the five minute mark. Marboros Carl Brewer scored on a long routine shot on a rebound at 12:33 with Ken Girard scoring his second goal with less then two minutes remaining in regualtion to force overtime.

Sunday, April 29, Toronto Marlboros downed Regina 5-1 (before 8,463) at the Maple Leaf Gardens. Turk Broda and his defending Canadian Junior Champs skated to a 3-0 lead after the first period. Gary Collins scored on a long shot from ghe blue line at 4:14 then two quick goals by Ken Girard from close range at 15:17 and Al MacNeil's long shot from the blue line in a little over a minute later.

In the seond period, Regina Pats Murray Balfour scored Pats lone goal at 12:58. Toronto's Bob Pulford had scored 18 goals in 14 playoff games and he scored the next two goals. His first goal was scored at 14:12 on a quick shot from far out. It glanced off Pats mary Howe into the net, and with 2 second left in the game, Pulford scored on a rebound off the goal post.

On Monday, President George Braden of CCM skate manufacturer in Toronto had the Regina Pats visit his plant and took the team to Niagara Falls.

Wednesday, May 2, Bob Pulford scored two goals to lead Toronto to a 4-2 victory over the Regina Pats. Bryan Whittal, one of Pats brightest stars in the series to date, scored both Regina goals. Marlboros lead 2-1 after the first period. Ron Casey opened the scoring at 1:46 with Pats Murray Balfour off for holding. Bob Pulford made it 2-0 on a shot five feet out at 9:16 before Pats centre Bryan Whittal finished a two-way play with Billy Hicke in the last minute of the period.

In the second period Toronto's Ron Farnfield was allowed to skate out of the corner and scored at 6:35. Regina Pats Whittal scored his second goal, a softy, as he drifted a slapshot from outside the blue line. Goalie Broderick caught a piece of the puck only to have the puck slip into the net with four minutes left in the period. Toronto's Bob Pulford scored the insurance goal at 13:13 of the final period.

Friday, May 4, was game number 72 for the two teams including exhibition games as Toronto defeated Regina Pats 6-1 in front of the lowest crowd of the series, (2,479) at the Maple Leaf Gardens. Toronto Marlboros triggered two goals in each period. Con Collie spoiled Len Broderick's bid for a shutout by firing the only Pat goal at 15:35 of the third period. Bob Pulford the series scoring leader, scored three times to spark Toronto, two in the second period and the first of the third period.

"That was the key game and we were not even in it," replied Regina Pats coach Murray Armstrong. The key goal was Toronto's second, Gary Collins trapped the puck from Pats Murray Balfour and passed the puck to Charlie Burns alone in front of Regina goaltender Hank Metcalf. Burns scored with only 48 seconds left in the opening period while a team mate was in the penalty box and Regina Pats never threatend Toronto Marlboros lead.

Sunday Afternoon, May 6, Toronto captured their second straight Memorial Cup at Toronto, as they downed Regina Pats 7-4. Marlies erupted for 3 goals in 46 seconds while a Pat player was serving a penalty. Toronto had period leads of 4-1 after the first period and 6-4 after the second period. Bob Pulford was Toronto's top scorer with his second three goal performance in as many games, giving him 10 goals in the series. Whittal scored two goals for the Regina Pats.

"It was Pats' best showing," Broda said. "They tell me that only two of the Pats players are overage for the 1957 season. If that is the case, they could easily win the 1957 Memorial Cup next season."

They continued the"jinx" the east holds against the west - no Abbott Cup Champion has recorded a victory in the easst since Pats turned the trick in 1950 against the Monteal Canadiens.

Front Row: Billy Hicke, Roy Hobbs, Grant Munro, Harold Metcalf, Harold Ottenbreit, Marty Howe, John Palenstein Second Row: Murray Armstrong (Coach), Norbert Kenys, Murray Massier, Wayne Klinck, Murray MacDonald, Brian Whittal, Jerome Walker, Murray Balfour, Joe Langhamer, Con Collie, Sandy Archer (Trainer), Del Wilson (Manager) Back Row: Executives: Bud Ramsey, Cec Dean, Jack Staples, Claire Robinson, Ken More, Jack Gordon, Dr. W.C. Rennick, Mike Kartusch, Dan Diamond