Friday, February 3, 2012

REGINA PATS - 1958-1959

and 1959-1960 - SE

.......... (Photo: Moose Jaw "Crushed Can" Civic Centre) ..........

Moose Jaw Canucks became the newest entry in the League. The Canucks had a short stay in Moose Jaw due to their new rink, the Civic Centre (The Crushed Can), not being completley finished. Thursday, January 1, the club moved to Weyburn for the remainder of the season.

Regina Pats sold goalie Vaugh Hensrud, to Estevan Bruins on Wednesday, December 10. The very next day, Hensrud played in goal and his club trounced the Pats 9-1.

Flin Fon finished first in the League Standings finishing with 71 points, with Estevan second with 62 points and Regina Pats in third place with 58. Pats netminder Ken Walters finished as the Leagues top goalie as he edged out Bob Wardle of the Flin Flon Bombers. The same Walters was selected on the First All-Star Team, along with defenseman Terry Harper. Regina Pats Centre Gord Wilkie was selected on the Second All-Star team and was Regina Pats top scorer with 77 points, finishing 6th in the League Scoring.

1958-1959 Regina Pats Roster - Goalies: Ken Walters, Vaughn Hensrud Defense: Terry Harper (Captain), Don Rogers, Larry McNabb, Jim Dawes, Wayne Kartusch Centre: Gord Wilkie, Larry Fischer, Jim "Red" Stevens, Jon Art Right Wing: Scott Watson, John Ivanitz, Larry Morrison, Brian Harper, Vern Wilderman Left Wing: Gary Butler, Ron Bahr, Mickey McDowell, Alex Hood, Wayne Kartusch Coach: Frank Mario Trainer: Reg "Wyatt" Kibbler Manager: Del Wilson

Players Pictures - Taken from the program: supplied by: Dale "Scorecard" Richter

Frank Mario (Coach), # 1. Ken Walters, # 1. Vaughn Hensrud

# 2. Jim Dawes, # 4. Terry Harper, # 5. Larry McNabb

# 6. Don Rodgers, # 7. Jon Art, # 8. Wayne Kartusch

# 9. Larry Fischer, # 10. Vernon Wildeman, # 11. John Ivanitz

# 12. Larry Morrison, # 14. Scott Watson (No Photo), # 15. Gord Wilkie, # 16. Ron Bahr

# 18. Gary Butler, # 19. Richard Stevens, # 20. Alex Hood (No Photo), # 21. Mickey McDowell (No Photo)

League Quarter Final - Wednesday, February 25, Regina Pats defeated 6th place Prince Albert Mintos 6-3 at the Regina Exhibition Stadium. Pats scored three goals in less than eight minutes giving Regina a 3-0 lead after the first period. Both teams tallied one goal each in the middle period. Gary Butler who was in a scoring sclump, broke loose and paced the Pat attack with a pair of goals.

Saturday, February 28,
"Nice going gang" Pats coach Frank Mario shouted in the club dressing room. Regina had just downed the Mintos 3-1, at Prince Albert, before (1,373) fans. Regina's big line of Gord Wilkie, Gary Butler and Scott Watson accounted for all Regina Pat goals. Butler potted what proved to be the winner early in the second period. Scott Watson bagged the insurance goal a couple minutes later. Pats goalie Ken Walters turned in a sensational game, especially in the third period, stopping three break-a-ways.

On Saturday, January 23, at the Regina Exhibition Stadium before (5,521) cheering fans, they saw the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League (SJHL) All-Stars play Moscow Selects. The first Junior's goal was not scored until the third period by an all Regina Pats line; at the 6:03 mark, left winger Gary Butler scored, assisted by centre Gord Wilkie and right winger Scott Watson. Moscow Selects went onto down the All-Stars 4-2. Other Pats to be selected to the All-Star team were defenceman Terry Harper and coach Frank Mario.

Monday, March 2, a thriller ended in a 1-1 overtime tie, before only (1,549) fans at Regina. Both Bary Bauman who replace Fred Cuff in the Prince Albert net, and Regina Ken Walters turned in sparkling performances as they turned aside 37 and 33 shots respectively; both goals were on screened shots. Roy Patrick triggered the Minto goal late in the opening period at 17:47 on a screen drive 20 feet out. Regina Pats defenseman Larry McNabb slammed home the Pat counter in the middle stanza near the two minute mark. He received a corner pass from Scott Watson and caught the lower left corner of the net.

Wednesday, March 4, Prince Albert edge Regina Pats 4-2 at the Mintos Arena. Rookie Gus Kowolsky, who joined the Minto club for the play-offs, scored the first and only goal of the opening period at 7:19. Ken Saunders, Bill Wilkes and defensman Jack Wilson, scored the other Minto goals. Gord Wilkie and Don Rogers share Regina goals. Prince Albert had a 3-1 lead after the second period. Rodgers scored a 40 footer low screen shot for the Pats at 2:39 to bring them within one goal, only to have the Mintos scored with two seconds left on an empty net goal by Jack Wilson.

Saturday, March 7, before (2,578) fans at the Regina Exhibition Stadium, Pats rattled home three unanswered first period goals and went on to down Prince Albert 4-1. Rookie Pat centre Larry Fischer had his finest game of the series as he picked up a pair of assists and scored the first goal mid-way through the opening period. Other Regina Pats goals in the first period were by Jon Art 14:47 and Terry Harper at 18:56 on a screen shot. Minto's Dave Balon scored the only second period goal at 16:48 when he went through the entire Pat team. In the third period Regina Pats Larry Morrison batted home the final goal with two minutes left in the game.

League Semi-Final - Monday, March 9, with 48 seconds remaining in overtime, Ernie Dyda's goal gave the Estevan Bruins a thrilling 5-4 win over the Regina Pats in Estevan. With Pat's goalie pulled for an extra attacker, Gary Butler scored with 26 seconds remaining in regulation time to force the overtime. Estevan's Jim Beckman scored at 15:21 of the first period on a screened shot just inside the blue line. In the second period he scored his second goal at 4:00. Regina Pats Gord Wilkie then scored three minutes later on a rebound 10 feet out. In the third period Regina Pats out scored Estevan 3-2.

Wednesday, March 11, Estevan's Krake and Meissner combined to administer a staggering one-two punch as Estevan edged the Regina Pats 2-1. Gary Butler slammed home the only Pat tally in the third period at 3:50 on a rebound hard shot by Gord Wilkie. Estevan Bruins netminder Vaugh Hensrud, who started the season with Regina, was outstanding, Clach Howie Hilford said: "He played his best game of the season. In his other games here he has had a bad case of nerves, but not tonight. He has made the difference in this club."

Friday, March 13, before a capacity (3,000) crowd, Regina Pats turned in a sparkling fore-checking game to stall the Bruins 1-0 at Estevan Auditorium. They saw the only goal scored by Scott Watson at the first minute mark in the second period. Gord Wilkie got a rebound and passed to Watson who slammed the puck passed sprawling Hensrud. Pat coach Frank Mario was pleased with the performance of all his players, little netminder Ken Walters drew congratulations from all sides.

Saturday, March 14, right winger Dick Meissner rammed in four goals, three unassisted, to lead Estevan to a convincing 6-2 victory over the Regina Pats at the Regina Exhibition Stadium and take the best of five series. Both teams battled through a scoreless close-checking first period. Estevan led 3-0 early in the third period on Meissner's goals in a wide open period. The Bruins out scored Pats 3-1 in the final six minutes of the period.

Flin Flon Bombers won the League championship and lost out to Winnipeg Braves in the Abbott Cup Western Final in six games.

1959-1960 Regina Pats Roster - Goalies: Art Koberinski, Jim Letcher Defense: Terry Harper (Captain), Wayne Kartusch, Larry McNabb, Ray Morton, Ken Roode, Jon Arnot Centre: Gord Wilkie, Red Stevens, George Knipelberg, Gary Peters Right Wing: Scott Watson, Norman Beaudin, Brian Harper Left Wing: Gary Butler, Alex Hood, Larry Fischer N/K: Bob Schmidt

Monday, February 1, Regina Pats goaltender Art Koberinski recorded a new team franchise record as Regina shut out Moose Jaw Canucks 13-0. At the end of the season he also recorded a new League record, playing in 44 games, he had a goals against average of 2.20. He also was chosen on the First All-Star team along with Defenseman Terry Harper and Left Winger Gary Butler. Gord Wilkie once again finished 6th in the scoring race.

Semi-Final Play-off - Saturday, February 27, Coach Legs Fraser's (third place League finishers) Prince Albert Mintos took a thrilling 3-2 victory over Regina Pats in overtime on a Regina Pat's costly penalty at the Regina Stadium. Regina's Wayne Kartusch drew an elbowing penalty at the 25 second mark and six seconds later, rookie Jim Neilson scored on a rising partial screened 45 foot slap shot, which was the winner. Centre Chick Balon scored the other two goals for the Mintos. Balon scored his first in the second period at 6:39 for a 1-0 lead. In the third period, Regina Pats Gary Butler tied the game at 7:07. Balon then scored his second goal five minutes later only to have Regina pats Larry Fischer tie the game with less then three minutes left in regulation time to force the overtime.

Monday, February 29, Prince Albert goalie Gary Bauman spearheaded the Mintos club to a thrilling 4-3 overtime victory, their second overtime againist the Regina Pats in Regina own back yard. Bauman's sensational puck blocking display turned aside 32 Pat drives with the majority of them at point blank range. While Bauman got his share of praise, Danny Kassian triggered the big one mid-way through the overtime. Neilson, hero of Saturday's game, fired a slap shot from the right side and the puck struck Kassians's stick in front of the net passed startled Art Koberinski. Both teams were tied 2-2 after the first period. Prince Albert took a 3-2 lead after the second period, and Regina Pats Larry Fischer tied the game at 14:04 in the third period to force the overtime.

Wednesday, March 2, Frank Mario's Regina Pats upset the local Prince Albert Mintos by a 6-2 decision, scoring the last 5 unanswered goals in the third period. Regina's top marksman was Terry Harper with two goals. Pats had trouble getting untracked in the first two games but looked like a different team on Wednesday. The got a sound effort from everyone. There was no scoring until the second period when Pats Terry Harper and Hubert Greyeyes scored. In the third period Minto's Roy Patrick gave Prince Albert the lead 2-1 only 12 seconds into the period before Pats then went wild.

Friday, March 4, "That was the greatest team efford of the season!" roared Pat coach Frank Mario following their spine-tingling 2-1 victory over the local Prince Albert Mintos before the largest crowd (1,905) in the series. Gary Butler and Alex Hood scored for the Regina Pats while Bill Wilkes netted the Mintos goal. Once again it was sparkling goaltending by both teams that stole the show. Pats Gary Butler at 11:28 of the first period scored when he streaked down the left side, cut in alone, and let a knee high drive go. In the second period Pats Alex Hood made it 2-0 at 10:30 on a rising backhand. Mintos Bill Wilkes then scored at 15:14 with Prince Albert having a two man advantage.

Saturday, March 5, Regina Pats scored a well earned 4-2 win at the Regina Exhibition Stadium. Veteran Gary Butler paced the Pats with a pair of goals, while linemate Norm Beaudin and Captain Terry Harper added one apiece. Bill Wilkes and Gord Turlik replied for the Mintos. It was tied 1-1 after the first period on Mintos Wilke's goal at 9:24 on a Gord Turlik's rebound and Regina Pats Butler's first goal at 11:01 into the open side of the net. Harper scored for Regina in the second period at the ten minute mark on a low secreen shot 50 feet out to give the Pats a 2-1 lead going into the third period. Regina's Beaudin and Butler made it 4-1 before Turlik scored on a waist high backhand at the 14:45 mark.

Monday, March 7, facing elimination, Prince Albert errupted for three goals in less than three minutes in the first half of the first period at the Minto Arena, as the edged Regina Pats 3-2. Mintos led 3-0 after the first period and Pats counted both their goals in the hectic second period. Both teams missed several great scoring opportunites in the final scoreless period. Gord Turlik, Adam Keller and Jim Neilson scored for Prince Albert. Brian Harper and Scott Watson scored for Regina pats.

Wednesday, March 9, Regina Pats came up with their finest forechecking display of the season before a large crowd (4,112) at the Regina Exhibition Stadium. Pats down the Mintos 9-3 in the seventh and deciding series game. Regina roared into a 3-1 first period lead and 6-3 at the end of the second period. Gary Butler of Regina Pats had five points, as he triggered home three goals and had two assists for the fired up Pats, while linemate Norm Beaudin and rookie George Knipelberger checked in with a pair of goals. Prince Albert Mintos' top scorer Danny Kassian scored two goals in the second period 13 seconds apart at the 2:55 mark.

League Final - Friday, March 11, Regina Pats and Flin Flon Bombers battled to a 3-3 overtime draw in a penalty free game before a Flin Flon hometown capacity crowd. The teams started cautiously, with the first period ending in a scoreless tie. Pats went ahead near the mid-point of the second period, when Scott Watson directed a low shot from the point by Terry Harper. The goal looked big until Bombers rookie Maurice Oftebro's slapshot 25 feet out at the 13:22 mark tied the game and forced a straight ten minute extra session. In the wild scoring outbreak in overtime, Flin Flon's Jim Baird scored at 1:19 only to see the Pats come back 20 seconds later. Gus Gillies then scored at 3:29 on a low shot to tie the game.

Sunday afternoon, March 13, Flin Flon edged Regina 2-1 before another standing room only (1,957) Bombers crowd. The teams battled to a scoreless tie after the first period. The Bombers took a 1-0 lead on defenseman Len Sedgwichs goal in the second period and Flin Flon's high scoring Jim Baird scored early in the third period. Regina Pat's right wing Scott Watson scored Regina's only goal with two minutes remaining in the game as he came out from the corner in front of the net and sent a slider to the west side of the net.

Monday, March 14, Flin Flon Bombers took a narrow 3-2 overtime decison over the Pats at the Regina Exhibition Stadium. A waist high looping shot from centre ice by veteran George Chigol after only 14 seconds into overtime, was the big blow for the Regina Pats. Flin Flon the League winners, had taken a 2-0 lead early in the third period only to see the Regina Pats rally for two quick goals in the late stages to force the overtime. Norm Beaudin recieved a pass from Gary Butler and scored at 14:20 then Larry Fischer took a short pass from Gary Peters at 16:11 to tie the game and force the overtime.

Wednesday, March 16, "A great morale victory" was the way coach Frank Mario described Regina's rousing 6-0 victory over Flin Flin before (4,029) at the Regina Exhibition Stadium. Rookie centre Gary Peters, who missed the first two games of the series due to the flu, scored two goals and an assist for the Pats. Pats opened with a 4-0 first period lead and rounded out the scoring in the second period. Norm Beaudin, Alex Hood, Larry Fischer and Peters scored for the Pats in the first period. Scott Watson and Peter with his second goal scored in the second period.

Over the week-end, the Stadium officials were getting ready for the Horse Show that Monday which meant Regina Pats had to play their home game at Moose Jaw Civic Centre.

Friday, March 18, Flin Flon nipped the Regina Pats 2-1 before a standing room only crowd. All the scoring was confined to the second period. Pats Gary Peters opened the scoring at 12:37 on a low backhand drive 30 feet out. Bombers then struck for two quick goals near the end of the period. Jim Baird grabbed a loose puck at the edge of the goal crease and scored at 16:50, then Maurice Oftebro scored the winner on a 4 foot slider in front of the net only 48 second left in the game.

Sunday afternoon, March 20, a fluke goal by Dick Vincent mid-way through the third period gave Flin Flon the League Championship. A jam-packed (2,030) crowd at the Bomber's rink saw their team edge Regina Pats 3-2. It was the largest turnout since 1957 as they witnessed the Bombers win their second straight League championship. Bombers' Jim Baird scored the first two goals; 12:32 in the first period to give the home team a 1-0 lead after the first and 16:11 into the second period on a point-blank shot. Regina Pats Gary Butler got Regina on the scoring board with only 23 second remaining in the second period. Pats Norm Beaudin tied the game at 2-2 only 10 seconds into the third period. Then Vincent scored the winner at 10:20 when he went around his own net, down the left boards, and sent a soft shot towards the net which went in off Pats defenseman Wayne Kartusch's skate.

Flin Flon Bombers lost to Edmonton Oil Kings in the Western Semi-Final. The Oil Kings then went on to lose against such greats as Bobby Orr, Ron "Chico" Maki, Pat Stapleton and the St. Catherines Tee Pees in six games.

Front Row: Jon Arnot, Scott Watson, Richard "Red" Stevens, Jim Letcher, Ray Morton, Art Koberniski, Norman Beaudin, Gary Peters, Mary Read Back Row: Frank Mario (Coach), Larry Morrison, Ken Roode, George Knipelberg, Larry Fischer, Brian Harper, Gord Wilkie, Terry Harper (Captain), Gary Butler, Tarry McNab, Wayne Kartusch, Alex Hood, Rob Kibbler (Trainer), Del Wilson, Manager

Photo: Gary Butler Collection