Friday, February 3, 2012

THE START of the 1960's

At the start of 1960-1961 the League schedule became balanced, with each team playing one more game and Flin Flon Bombers playing six more games. There were no overtime games during League Play. The last game League scheduled game at Moose Jaw Civic Centre drew the largest attendance to-date in Moose Jaw 3,767 fans.

On Saturday, October 15, the Regina Pats helped open the new $350.000 Flin Flon Arena. Regina Pats Art Koberinski shut out the Bombers 4-0. Monday, November 28, Regina Pats goaltender Jim Letcher was taken by Estevan Bruins in a League player draft. ....... (Photo: Flin Flon Whitney Forum) .......

Regina Pats finished in first place with 81 points, while Estevan Bruins finished one point behind. Pats' Art Koberinski was the League top goal tender with a 2.72 goals average and Gary Peters finished in 6th place in the scoring race with 82 points, followed by Norm Beaudin with 80 points. Koberinski and Left Winger Gary Butler were selected on the League's First All-Star Team. Right Winger Norm Beaudin was selected on the Second All-Star Team.

1960-1961 - Regina Pats Roster - Goalies: Art Koberinski, Jim Letcher, Len Kleisinger Defense: Doug Piper, Bob Reiger, Arvid Knutson, Norm Schmitz, Norman Bohl Centre: Gord "Red" Stevens, Gary Peters, Gary Schall, Bob Schmidt, Wilf Martin Right Wing: Norm Beaudin, Dick Wiest, Pierre Dechaine, Grant Warwick Left Wing: George "Nipper" Knipelberg (Captain), Gary Butler, Alex Hood, Brian Harper, Marty Reid N/K: Bob Schmidt Coach: Frank Mario Trainer: Sandy Archer Manager: Del Wilson

League Semi-Final - Tuesday, February 28, Captain George Knipelberg's two goals sparked Regina Pats to a 4-0 win over Moose Jaw Canucks at the Regina Stadium. A pair of second period goals by Knipelberg gave the Pats a big lift. His second goal was well-earned. The veteran played his own rebound off the back boards in great fashion. There was no scoring in the first period. Knipelberg scored both his goals at the start of the second period, at 3:43 and 14:21. Pats' Gary Butler made it 3-0 at the 16:16 mark on a rising 30 foot shot. In the last period Alex Hood scored at 3:25 behind the net on a pass from Brian Harper.

Wednesday, March 1, Coach Metro Prystai's Moose Jaw Canucks took a narrow 3-2 victory over Regina Pats at Moose Jaw. With three minutes left in the game, Gene Lambert's third period goal turned out to be the winner; it was hotly disputed by the Pats. After the game, in the Pats dressing room, Regina goalie Art Koberinski said, "The goal wasn't in." The goal judge had not seen the puck, it was the referee who had signalled a goal. Both clubs were tied 1-1 after the first period, there was no scoring in the second. George Swarbrick and Al Willis also scored for Moose Jaw while Gary Butler and Dick Weist scored for Regina Pats.

Friday, March 3, at the Regina Stadium, Regina Pats downed the Moose Jaw Canucks 6-3. The fans witnessed stalling tactics, brawling on and off the ice, plus "chippey" hockey. Even some of the spectators got into the fracas. Pats led 2-1 after the first period on Regina's goals by Dick Wiest at 7:01 and Bob Schmidt at 10:14. Wayne Wiste of Moose Jaw scored at 16:42. The Pats upped the scored to 5-1 on three unanswered goals by Gary Peters at 5:43, Brian Harper 55 seconds later, and Norm Schmitz in the brawling second period at the midway mark. The trouble didn't develop until Regina was ahead 4-1. In the third period Moose Jaw's John Palmer and Gary Kitpatrick scored both on screen drives from the right point, a low drive to the wide side. Pats' Norm Beaudin scored with only 12 seconds left in the game.

Monday, March 6, at the Moose Jaws' Civic Centre Arena, the Canucks got a well-deserved 4-2 win over the Regina Pats. Gene Lambert, Bobby Riou, Ron Livingstone and rookie Duane Beedle shared Canucks scoring. Regina scorers were Gary Peters and Pierre Dechaine. Lambert opened the scoring at 7:08 of the first period when he tipped in Guy Murphy's corner pass. In the second period Regina's Dechaine tied the game on a loose puck in front of the net at 9:19. In the third period Pats' Peters gave Regina a 2-1 lead on a backhander just inside the blue line. Moose Jaw then struck for three straight goals.

Wednesday, March 8, a five-point performance by Regina's Gary Peters played a major role in the 6-3 decision over Moose Jaw at the Regina Exhibition Stadium. They saw Peter's trigger three goals and two assists on Norm Beaudin's goals. Beaudin matched Peters output assisting on Peters goals. Regina led 2-1 after the first period and upped the count to 4-1 in the second period before Moose Jaw struck with two quick goals 58 seconds apart. Pats lead 5-3 after the middle frame.

The game was delayed 20 minutes at the 12 minute mark of the first period when Canucks' net minder, Joe Leach, was hit in the eye with the blade of a stick and taken to hospital with a serious hemorrhage to the injured eye. Moose Jaw's juvenile goalie Bill Halbrender took over the net minder duties.

Saturday, March 11,
Regina Pats downed the Moose Jaw Canucks in a nerve racking 3-2 thriller before a record setting crowd (3,767) at Moose Jaw Civic Centre Arena. Some 400 Pats supporters started the 'Go Pats Go" chant and the entire Pat bench came to life. The fans took a great part in the game. Norm Beaudin collected what turned out to be the winner at the 13:56 mark in the final period unassisted as he scored on his own rebound. Moose Jaw's coach Pystai got permission from the SJHL to use Saskatoon goalie Gary Waugh to take over for the injured Joe Leach in the Moose Jaw net. (Photo: Moose Jaw Canucks' goaltender Bill Halbrender boots out a drive by Pat's Gary Butler (18), reaching for the rebound is Regina Pats' Norm Beaudin (11) - Gary Butler Collection)

League Final - Monday. March 13, Regina Pats Norm Beaudin's second goal of the game in overtime gave Pats a narrow 6-5 victory over the Estevan Bruins at the Regina Exhibition Stadium. A goal by Beaudin at 5:27 of a 10 minute overtime ruined the sparkling comeback by the battling Estevan Bruins. Outplayed and trailing 3-1 after the first period, the Bruins fought back on Owen Rogers' goal at 17:43 of the third period to force the extra period of overtime. Regina took a 3-1 lead after the first period and 4-3 after the second period. Estevan's rookie right-winger Ron Willy's three gaols (two back-to-back) helped the Bruins fight back.

Wednesday, March 15, Regina came up with their finest two-way performance to down Estevan 4-1 before a (3,000) sell out capacity Estevan crowd. Gary Peters sparked the Pats attack with three points. The hard working pivot scored twice and set up the winning goal. Estevan's Owen Rogers opened the scoring near the mid-point of the first period on George Boychuck's rebound. Four minutes later Pat's Gary Peters scored as he knocked down Butler's pass. In the second period Pats' Norm Beaudin scored at the 8 minute mark to give Pats a 2-1 lead. Then Alex Hood scored at the three minute mark and Peters scored with his second goal at 13:15 closing out the scoring. After the game New York Rangers Al Ritchie said, "Peters and Beaudin are two of the finest two-way players I have watched in junior hockey for a long time."

Friday, March 17, Regina Pats big line of Gary Peters, left-winger Gary Butler, and right-winger Norm Beaudin, gobbled up every scoring chance in helping Regina Pats to a 6-4 victory before a Stadium (5,344) standing-room only crowd. The trio figured in five of the six Pat goals. Butler showed the way with a hat trick. Peters had a goal and three assists while Beaudin scored one goal and two assists. Estevan Bruins centre Jim Kozie paced Bruins with three goals. The teams were tied 1-1 after the first period, and 3-3 after the second. The turning point came when Butler scored two goals within 33 seconds at 7:47 of the third period.

Saturday, March 18, Regina Pats skated to a thrilling 2-1 victory over the hometown Estevan Bruins which left a partisan (3,100) standing room only crowd shaking their heads in disbelief. It was Regina goalie Art Koberkinski's puck-blocking display (one of the finest of his junior career)that helped Pats capture the League title. The first period was scoreless. Estevan's John Rogers opened the scoring at 16:32 of the second period. Pats' Schmitz scored three minutes later as he went through two defenders and caught the left corner of the net. Norm Beaudin scored the winner early in the third period at the five minute mark while Estevan were shorthanded on a 10 footer. Regina's coach Frank Mario announced three members from Estevan as pick-ups under the CAHA regulations. Centres John Roger, Jim Kozie and defenseman Dave Padzerski, plus back-up goalie Gary Doggett of Flin Flon.

Meanwhile Edmonton Oil Kings swept the Trail Smoke Eaters four games straight, outscoring the B.C. reps 32-7.

Western Canada Semi-Final - Monday, March 27, Buster Brayshaw's Edmonton Oil Kings trounced Regina Pats 8-1 before 5,800 fans at the Edmonton Gardens. Showing top class in every department, the Kings caught a clumsy bunch of Pats and ran roughshod over them. Former Prince Albert Minto ace, Dennis Kasslan, scored three goals for the Kings and Phil Dutton two goals and an assist. Gary Peters scored the Regina Pats lone goal which stopped net minder Paul Sexsmith's shutout streak at 226 minutes and 53 seconds. Peter scored the opening goal in the third period as he flipped the puck over Sexsmith's leg from close in. Edmonton had period leads of 2-0 and 5-0.

Wednesday, March 29, Edmonton had little trouble in winning their second game handily as they downed the Regina Pats 5-1 at the Gardens. It was the Kings 10th straight play-off victory. Five separate players scored for Edmonton. The Regina Pats were down 3-1 after the first period. Kings continued to hold the edge until the mid-way point of the second period when they struck for two quick goals in thirty seconds. The third period was scoreless.

Saturday, April 1, Regina Pats edged Edmonton 4-3 in overtime at the Regina Exhibition Stadium and snapped the Oil King's undefeated play-off streak at 10 games. Pats' rookie centre Wilf Martin's goal at 1:52 of the second overtime period became the most important of his hockey career. Both clubs tallied twice in the opening period. Edmonton scored the lone goal in the middle period while Pats forced the overtime getting the only goal in the third period by Alex Hood with thirty-three seconds left in regulation. The first extra period, a straight ten minute period, was scoreless and staged the sudden-death second overtime period. With Oil Kings' Jim Eagle off for hooking, Martin snared a clearing pass at Edmonton's blue line, went behind the net, skated out in front of the net, and scored.

Monday, April 3, Regina Pats Norm Beaudin helped spark the Pats to a 7-4 victory over the smooth-passing Edmonton squad. Beaudin had been held scoreless in the first three games. He cut loose for a pair of goals along with Edmonton's Don Chiz who led the Kings' attack with two goals. The turning point came at the eighteen minute mark of the middle period when Gary Peter stole the puck from an Edmonton attacker at centre ice. He then went around the defenseman and was home-free on goalie Sexsmith. That gave Pats a 4-2 lead going into the final period.

Wednesday, April 5, Edmonton's five goal outburst in the first half of the second period helped the Oil Kings. They walked all over the Regina Pats 10-1 before 6,000 fans at the Edmonton Gardens Arena. Both clubs came out and played a cautious opening period with the Oil Kings holding on to a 1-0 lead. The middle period was the downfall of the Pats. They were behind 7-0 heading in to the final period. Regina was down 8-0 before Pats' Brian Harper scored at 11:15.

Dennis Kassian spearheaded the Kings barrage with three goals. Regina netminder Art Koberinski had a busy night handling 58 shots and was not to be faulted except on one. The large ice-surface of Edmonton Gardens undoubtedly gave Regina Pats plently of trouble during the three games of the series.

Friday, April 7, a couple of breaks at the Regina Exhibition Stadium helped Edmonton down the Pats 3-1 to take the series. All the scoring was done in the third period. Larry Lund scored a pair of goals for Edmonton (the winner and insurance marker at 19:45 of the third period). The breaks went against the Pats. In the second period, captain George Knipelberg beat goalie Sexsmith only to hit the goal post. In the third period the referee missed an all important off-side on the winning goal. "That winning goal was off-side by at least eight feet." said Pats' coach Frank Mario.

Edmonton Oil Kings downed Winnipeg Rangers in the Western Canada final. In the Memorial Cup they lost to Coach Father Bauer's Toronto St. Michael Majors in six games played at the old Edmonton Garden Arena.

Front Row: Gary Peters, Dave Piper, Arvid Knutson, Art Koberinski, Bob Reiger, Norm Schmitz, Wilf Martin Middle Row: Frank Mario (Coach), Marty Reid, Gary Schall, Red Stevens, George Knipelberg, Alex Hood, Norm Beaudin, Reg Kibbler (Trainer) Back Row: Bud Ramsay (President), Pierre Dechaine, Bob Schmidt, Brian Harper, Gary Butler, Dick Wiest (Photo: Gary Butler Collection)