Friday, February 3, 2012

In 1932-33, the Regina Pats had three new faces from outside Regina; Goalie Jimmie Franks who played last season with Melville Juveniles, Bill Cairns with Saskatoon Nutana and Les Cunningham with Calgary Jimmies.

The league had three Regina teams, Pats, Canadians, and Maple Leafs. Once again Regina Pats relied on exhibition games with strong competition.

1932-1933 Regina Pats Roster - Goalies: Jimmie Franks, Harrison Defense: Hartzel "Moose" Stinson, Alex "Curley" Kerr (Captain), Murray Armstrong, Reg Strong, Jessie Rittinger Right Wing: Bill Cairns, Bill Burnett Left Wing: Reg Strong, Leslie Cunningham, George Boll Coach-Manager: Al Ritchie Trainer: Jack Ansell President: Charles Straw Past President: Nick Pappas Secretary-Treasurer: G. Williams Mascot: Spider Hammond

League Final - On Monday, February 6, Pats defeated the Maple Leafs 2-0 in the first of a two game total goals City Championship series. Murray Armstrong scored the first goal near the end of the second period. He snagged the puck away from a Leaf forward at centre ice. Armstrong then charged right in on the net and let an ankle high shot go, which goalie Vic Jacket never saw. There was no further scoring until the closing minutes of the final period. A small crowd of 300 braved the 30-below weather outside to see the game. Photo: Jimmie Franks - Dave Talbot Collection

Thursday, after being held scoreless for almost two periods Regina Pats, took advantage of a break and started on a scoring spree that resulted in a 5-0 victory over the Maple Leafs. With less than a minute left in the second period, the break came for the Pats and the scoring rally began. Up until then the Maple Leafs were keeping the Pats in check until Church was given a penalty. Pats then scored two fast goals in the span of 15 seconds. Reg Strong at 19:41 and Murray Armstrong at the 19:54 mark.

South Semi-Final - Tuesday, February 14, Regina Pats defenseman beat the Moose Jaw Cubs goalie early in the third period for the only goal of the game at the Moose Jaw Stadium. "Moose" Stinson rifled a shot just inside the blue line that glanced off Cubs defenseman Tommy Dewars leg and slithered into the net off Ken Davis' skate. The goal was scored in the first minute of play in the third period and looked as big as a mountain for the Pats.

The crowd of 1,200 saw one of the fastest games ever played in Moose Jaw that season. Close checking throughout the game resulted in both teams not having many scoring chances. Both net minders were brilliant as each had thirty saves.

On Thursday, the Regina Pats skated and put up a stonewall defense as Jimme Franks racked up his fourth play-off shutout as Pats downed Moose Jaw Cubs 4-0 at the Regina Stadium. Murray Armstrong was Pats top scorer with 2 goals, his first halfway through the first period and the other one minute remaining in the game. The other Pat scorers were Bill Cairns in the first and Alex Kerr in the second period. Moose Jaw left winger Cam Burke was almost a one man show skating up and down the ice. He played almost the entire third period for the Mill City in a losing cause.

South Finals - Monday, February 20, Regina Pats blanked Yorkton Juniors 6-0 at the Yorkton rink. The local lads were overanxious and missed several good opportunities in scoring. In the opening period Yorkton were able to hold the highly touted Pats to a scoreless tie. In each of the second and third periods the visitors scored three goals.

Jessie Rittinger opened the scoring early in the second period and less than two minutes later Murray Armstrong scored. Cunningham closed the period with the third goal of the second period. Armstrong, Cunningham, and Alex Motter were the marksmen in the final period.

Tuesday, Regina Pats goalie Jimmy Franks blanked Yorkton 5-0 to gain his sixthshut out in arrow. Only Jimmy knows how close his record almost came to an end on two occasions. In the second period, Colacott circled the defense and let a hard shot go from close range. Franks just managed to deflect the puck passed the corner post. Webster had the best opportunity halfway through the third period. he received a pass out from behind the Pat net and while only two feet out, shot wide of the net.

On Tuesday afternoon, February 28th, Saskatoon Tigers downed North Battleford 16-1 in a sudden death game at Saskatoon Arena to face Regina Pats in the Provincial Final.

Provincial Final - On Monday, March 6, in the last period Alex "Curley" Kerr's goal saved the Pats from defeat at the Saskatoon Arena. One goal apiece was the best Regina and the local Saskatoon Tigers could muster on a soft ice surface before 1,500 fans. They saw the shutout record of Franks go by the boards within five minutes of the start of the game.

Jim Haight scored the Tiger's lone goal when the puck spun around across the goal line after hitting Jimmy Frank's pads. Alex Kerr scored the Pats goal with only five minutes remaining in regulation time. His shot from the blue line hit goalie Orville Richardson on the face and dropped over his shoulder into the net.

Friday, Regina Pats blanked Saskatoon Tiger 5-0 at the Regina Stadium. Two pats were responsible for the trimming handed the Tigers - Franks, who stopped everything directed his way, and Murray Armstrong, with two goals and one assist.

Western Semi-Final - Monday, March 13, Calgary Jimmies the heaviest checking junior team to step on Regina Stadium ice in a long time, all but knocked the steam out of Al Ritchie's starry Pats. Right up until the last minute Regina came through with a 3-2 victory after holding a 2-0 edge, when Jimmies launched an offensive thrust that netted them their only goal. Fifteen seconds later Alex Motter stick handled from his own zone through the entire Calgary team to restore the Pats two goal lead.

Thursday, Regina Pats lost the game 2-1, Les Cunningham scored the goal to win the series in an extra period of overtime. Exactly halfway through the third period, Sorenson and Thompson who broke through a badly disorganized Pat defense. Sorenson took the shot and Frank dived too late to save the puck. Five minutes later the same Thompson took a pass from Forsey and beat Franks for the goal that deadlocked the series.

Six and a half minutes into the extra session Cunningham, Pats winger picked up the puck inside the Calgary blue line on a pass from Murray Armstrong. Les then walked right in on Herv Garner and scored.

Western Final - Abbott Cup - Monday, March 27, Brandon Native Sons all but tossed a wrench in to the Pats machinery. They held Ritchie's team of to a score-less tie in sixty minutes of bruising but brilliant hockey that appeared to satisfy the thrilled 4,500 fans at the Winnipeg Shea's Amphitheatre rink. both teams had many scoring chances throughout the game only to be foiled by Pats goaltender Jimmie Franks and Brandon's Walter Turk Broda. The reason for the Pats being hemmed in behind their own blue line many times was 16 year old centre Johnny Prokaski on Brandon's second line. He was the whole team. he outsmarted, outplayed and back checked the Pats all night. He held the whole Pat team at bay alone for almost two minutes in the second period.

Wednesday, Alex "Curley"
Kerr save the game for the Pats with tying goals near the final gong, forcing over time with both teams tied 1-1. Brandon took the lead in the second period at the 6:00 mark when Vern Johnson scored from 25 feet out taking a shot near the right boards that found the top corner of the net. Len Bicknell carried the puck down the ice and from a scramble in front of the net; the puck came back to Johnson. (Photo: Dave Talbot Collection)

The situation was beginning to look hopeless for the Pats,
when captain Kerr came through with two minutes and
40 seconds remaining in regulation time. Regina Pats were
battling for the puck at the Brandon blue line when Alex Kerr
suddenly emerged from a scramble with the puck. He faked, then with a stride Alex shot forward with a burst of speed like a rocket. He then let a shot goal that hit the top left corner of the net. Goaltender Turk Broda never even saw the puck. The two teams then went on the battle three-ten straight overtime periods which was really dull.

Friday, Murray Armstrong and Reg Strong scored for the Pats before another sell-out crowd to give the Regina Pats a 2-1 victory and the series 3-2 in what had to be the Abbott Cup to date. the goal that started Regina on the way to victory came when Alex Motter won the faceoff and whipped the puck back to Reg Strong. Reg let a drive go, goaltender Broda didn't even move, the puck as already in the net, a waist-high shot that travelled like a bullet. It gave the Pats the lead for the first time in the series. Little more than halfway through the period, Murray Armstrong took a face off in the same area as the Pats first goal. Murray took the puck himself and eased over in front of Broda. His first shot was partially blocked. He spun around on the goal line and scored when he back handed the puck into the net.

At the ending of the second period pats went to the dressing room leading 2-0. In the third period, Brandon did everything bust score until Johnson scored on Waddy Hall's rebound off the back board with five minutes remaining in the game.

Memorial Cup Final - Tuesday, April 4, before an unexpectedly large crowd of 8,250, played at the Toronto Maple Leaf Gardens, Newmarket Redmen scored a narrow 2-1 victory over the Regina Pats. Regina Leader Post sports writer, Willis Entwistle stated: "Newmarket has the fastest junior hockey team that I have seen for many a year. The skate like the old 1925 Pats - just like lightning." Newmarket's centre Normie Mann raced down the ice alone at the five minute mark of the first period and scored on a long shot that caught Pats goalie off-guard. Frank Huggins raced through the Pats defense alone and whipped a fast pas to Pep Kelly who was parked in front of the net and scored Redman's second goal at 7:18 of the second period. Reg Strong scored Pats only goal just before the period ended when he received Bill Burnett's rifled pass in front of the net.

Pats pressed hard in the dying minutes of the third period with a minute to go. It almost backfired when Mann and Doran broke-a-way with only Pats goalie Franks to beat only to have Franks skated out to the blue line and bat the puck away.

Five telephones rang continuously for five hours as Regina fans followed the Pats through the Leader Post's fast service. The phones were going full blast, one ring after another.

Thursday, The Pats lost 2-1 on a goal in the last minute of the third period of overtime that gave Newmarket the Memorial Cup. Everyone was looking ahead for a third game. The fans saw almost 90 minutes of extra overtime hockey, before they witnessed the winning goal.

For the only goal, Newmarkets' Normie Mann shot as he reached the Pats blue line and scored on his own rebound with only a few seconds before the first period ended. Regina Pats Bill Cunningham tied the game in the second period on a similar goal. He went through the defense and fired a low shot that Newmarket's goalie Forder partially blocked. The frantic goalie tried to shove the puck to safety as Cunningham streaked in and shoved the puck into the open net.

It was not until the third overtime session at eight minutes and four seconds that Don Wilson was left alone and shot a blazing shot that landed high in the top corner of the Pats net. At the time Pats had two players in the penalty box.

The crowd of 8,000 went wild, throwing programs and hats onto the ice. The demonstration lasted for several minutes before the teams could play the remaining two minutes.

At the end of the game it caused an outburst from some of the Pats as they surrounded referee Johnny Mitchell. During the fracas the official was jostled and cut in the face by a Pats players stick. Four Pats - Kerr, Franks, Cunningham and Bill Cairns were immediately suspended by the CAHA. "I never saw a more partisan official in my life! "Regina coach Al Ritchie complained to reporter Lou Marsh after the game. "He game us penalties we did not deserve and allowed Newmarket to get away with things for which they should have been penalized."

The Regina Pats - Western Canada Junior Champions - Dominion Finalists

Left to Right:
Al Ritchie (Coach-Manager), Spider Hammond (Mascot), Reg Strong, Murray Armstrong, Jessie Rittinger, Bill Burnett, Alex Kerr (Captain), Jim Franks, Hartzel Stinson, Alex Motter, Les Cunningham, Bill Cairns, George Boll, Jack Ansell (Trainer), Charlie Straw (President) - Photo: Sask. Sports Hall 0f Fame